• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 cover with a drain plug

t bell said:
Is there such an animal. Also one for a Dana 44. I can't seem to find either.

All 44's have a plug. I think I've seen some 35's with the too, but normally the have a rubber pop in style plug...

the plug on my 88' Dana 35 is a metal one but the 93' YJ Dana 35 that i have also was a rubber plug. I just swapped covers. YJ D35 can with a ARB and 4.10s, just incase you anyone was wondering. Check out T& J Performance, or www.crawltech.com for a skid plated diff cover that has a metal plug. Now none of them drain but I'm sure you could tap on in there. They are only for filling it up. Juice

Not the fill plug. The drain plug is at the bottom of the cover. The rubber plug you talk of is in the middle. Sorry that I didn't clarify.

in that case i don't think they came with one. But you can always do it yourself. It would be easy to change fluild without pulling the cover and gasket for sure. I'm sure people would by them if they were made. Juice

And it would be as simple as tapping it and installing screw in it? I've seen some 12 bolt covers that had sort of a protrusion where the screw would go. I'm assuming for strength. I think I'll get one from a junk yard and try it out on that one. Yesterday was a pain trying to use a suction pump. I got oil, everywhere. Maybe a faulty pump or something.

Why on God's green earth would you use a suction pump to change gear lube. :confused: Half the purpose of doing it is to see if there is any metal or chunks in there????? And the dimple on a GM diff cover is there because on that exact location on the other side of the diff cover is the magnet which picks up any metal in the lube, which you also couldn't see without removing the cover. A suction pump :laugh2: jeeeezzzz. Its not all that hard to pull the cover plus you get a nice new gasket out of it and can tell what shape your gears are in. :spin1:

I didn't think about that. It did seem a whole lot easier to just pull the cover. So even with a drain plug you still have to look inside for a magnet? What if you don't have any metal in the fluid after you have drained it?

then everything is spinning perfectly

How about a drain plug with a magnetic tip? I've seen them often enough for engine sumps - there's no reason one can't be done for an axle. That way, you'd know whether or not you needed to pull the cover, and the housing would be empty already if you DID have to remove the cover and inspect...

5-90

Back