• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about shift linkage & Shaft

Ecamacho

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

I have looked at countless images and I cannot for the life of me figure out if the shift lever position under the jeep xj with an Aw4. Is the transmission shifter mechanism on the side supposed to be facing toward the back of the trans in park??!

I rebuilt the tranny and I am in the process of staking in the sleeve of the shift shaft inside the transmission. Before I pull the trigger I want to make sure it's in right. I don't want to drop all that s*** again just to re adjust.

Attached is a graphic of what I mean. Can we confirm that this is P position?

I greatly appreciate the assistance. You guys are awesome. :looney:

20150711_162931_fe6e6c5a9e1112a15299cf4dcbbd1f9eb42198aa.jpg

Honestly hard to say with just that picture.
Go on youtube and look up aw4/ jeep transmission installs and I am sure there will be a bit where they install the shift linkage.
thats what I would do.

Thanks for the help! I saw the IPT a340e video and they show the internal linkage replacement but for some reason everyone unbolts the shifter arm on the outside, go figure. Anyway the service manual shows how the innards go but I needed to make sure I got the outside lined up right too.

Thanks again.

Back