• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What should be replaced when fixing and converting AC?

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm taking the AC out of an 89 xj, putting it in my 88 MJ and converting it to R134.

What needs to be replaced? Just the drier and orings?

What doesn't have to be replaced but should be?

Thanks

I was told that the hoses are different and that R134 will seep a little bit. This is only minor but may mean that you could have to recharge it from time to time. Other things to consider:

1) The evaporator on an R12 system has a smaller exit orifice which makes it hard to get the proper pressures. You can get it to work (quite well) but you may have to over charge it a bit. If you want to fix this properly you would need to source a later year evaporator and the matching expansion valve.
2) It is always a good idea to upgrade the condenser with a parallel flow design. The R12 systems (and older R134) used a serial flow condenser and it simply doesn't do as good a job at cooling the gas. Parallel flow fixes this and will give you cooler AC.

I converted a '90 XJ a couple of years ago and it is working great but I have to run higher pressures to get cold air because I didn't change out the evaporator. If I "dial it in" at the pressures recommended on the traditional chart, it will get cool but not cold. This is particularly true on 100+ days (common in South Texas).

Of course you are going to need to source a new set of suction/discharge fittings (and valve kits) to match the hose connections for R134.
https://jeepair.com/fittings/8-10-suction-discharge-w-r-134a-ports.html

HTH
Todd

The system is designed for R12, R12 will give the best cooling. Id stick with R12. Non R12 coolant will make things work harder to get same level of cooling. R12 is still readily available.

Thanks for the help guys, I ordered some r12A.

Back