• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator issue fixed

Yahooty

NAXJA Forum User
I posted here a while back with a typical charging issue. My 98 XJ would be going along fine then the check gauges light would come on. The battery gauge drop from around 14v down at 9v.

I tried charging the battery, having the battery load tested and even pulled the alternator and had it bench tested twice.

Ends up that it was the alternator after all. I finally pulled and replaced it and all my problems have been solved. I guess bench testing is not a definitive diagnosis.

I'm writing this because when I searched there were many different answers to this same question and if anyone else is like me where "electricity just happens because it's magic", I thought I'd just through this out there in case someone else has a similar issue.

Thanks for all your help.

Typically, if the dashboard gauge shows 9 volts the alternator is the problem and worn out brushes are very likely the root cause. The brushes can get stuck and a bump in the road or stopping/starting will free them up again, so you get the problem intermittently. A bench test often will not diagnose worn brushes.

If that dashboard gauge shows 19 volts, there almost always is a connectivity or wiring issue at the alternator, battery, or a ground location.

Back