• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Neutral Safety Switch Swap

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 97 XJ is having issues with the NSS. The backup lights don't come on.

I do have a brand new 1996 NSS that I would like to use, but the connectors are different. Does anyone know how to make the 1996 NSS work with the 1997 Connector under the hood?

Thanks in advance.

The 1996 NSS doesn't have the same contacts internally. The 1997 has an extra contact for the (D) position. Remove and refurbish the 1997 NSS. Pretty easy and plenty of youtube videos. Basically take it apart in a zip lock bag so you don't lose any parts, clean the contacts, regrease, and reassemble. You might need to do a bit of smoothing with sandpaper if the contacts are worn. Just don't destroy it getting it off.

The 1996 NSS doesn't have the same contacts internally. The 1997 has an extra contact for the (D) position. Remove and refurbish the 1997 NSS. Pretty easy and plenty of youtube videos. Basically take it apart in a zip lock bag so you don't lose any parts, clean the contacts, regrease, and reassemble. You might need to do a bit of smoothing with sandpaper if the contacts are worn. Just don't destroy it getting it off.

Thank you for your response.
Just a quick question, why does the 97 have a contact for "D" position? I am not a mechanic but I am trying to make sense of that.

As to rebuilding the old one, I've done it twice already, and I know it isn't too hard, but if I remember correctly, the last time I did it, the copper rails looked to be wearing thin. In 500K miles I have shifted many times causing more wear than most NSS will ever see.

If the 96 NSS can't be used in the 97XJ, then I have no choice but to try to clean it again and hope there is still some copper left in the NSS rails.

Thanks Again for your reply.

Thank you for your response.
Just a quick question, why does the 97 have a contact for "D" position? I am not a mechanic but I am trying to make sense of that.

I dunno, seems like you'd know it was in D if it wasn't in any other position. I suspect it's so it can tell if the NSS has an issue.

Back