• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pre 00 4.0 in 2000 xj exhaust question

moparcyco

NAXJA Forum User
Was looking at picking up a 2000 has engine trouble. I have a clean great running 4.0 from a 94. So I googled what is necessary to swap them. The cps and coil pack brackets are no big deal. I really was hoping someone here had done this as to how to make the exhaust work. I will use the intake from the 00 so what exhaust manifold and or header works here? on my searches it looks like maybe header but $400 plus makes it not worthwhile. If I understand correctly the ports are bigger on the pre 00 heads and maybe don't line up properly? been reading for hours maybe just did not find the right thread. If you have made this work any input would be very helpful.

I can only confirm the Banks header, (for 2000-2001 XJs) works on an earlier head.
You can also try this, a lot cheaper way of resolving the differences in exhaust port locations . I have no experience using it.
https://jeepexhaustadapter.com

First question would be, "is it Fed or Cali emissions". That will determine the header you need.

I used the exhaust adapter plate on a 98 engine swap into a 2000 with the cali emissions -- It's been almost 2 years now and it works just fine

good economical way to get it done

Back