• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel rail leak?

egotripp

NAXJA Forum User
So I popped my hood today to check all my fluids and noticed the fuel rail is leaking out of what I guess is a pressure release/check valve. Its right behind the number two injector and looks like a giant tire valve stem. Question is, do these have caps since it is threaded , can i get a new inner valve stem core with a new seal, or am I going to end up replacing a fuel rail? Its a 1998.

Last edited:
I have never seen a problem like this, sounds kind of strange. They normally would have a cap, but the cap would not stop it from leaking, its just a dust cap. I would make sure the core is tight and not bent or damaged. If it is tight, and it still leaks I would try and find a couple cores at the salvage yard. If that doesn't stop the leak then you would most likely need a fuel rail.

It should be easy to get the valve core. These are just like tires have, but could be different rubber. Personally, this is the kind of part that I would try NAPA first, and then the dealership. Did you try pushing the valve stem in and out (several times) to see if it would reseat by itself?

It should be easy to get the valve core. These are just like tires have, but could be different rubber. Personally, this is the kind of part that I would try NAPA first, and then the dealership. Did you try pushing the valve stem in and out (several times) to see if it would reseat by itself?

Yeah a small piece of debris will cause it not to seat well. They are (I have been told) a different rubber compound that is resistant to fuel and thus will not easily leak. The cap is the same as on your home A/C unit.

...fuel rail is leaking out of what I guess is a pressure release/check valve.

It is called a Schrader valve, and it is similar to a tire valve stem (might be a different size core), like the others said. If the core is bad it is replacable without replav=cing the entire fuel rail, but like others have said, check to see if it is just something stuck in it first. I will try and get you the dealer p/n for the core, and possibly a cross-reference to a Napa part number...

Stand-by...

OK, the Jeep part number for the Rail is 53030699, and they do not sell the Schrader core separate from the rail. $156 on

http://www.1stjeepparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html

However, you can try Napa with that part number, and if they have oe of their own, have them pull it and check the size of the core, of which they should certainly have a replacement.

Good luck,

OK, the Jeep part number for the Rail is 53030699, and they do not sell the Schrader core separate from the rail. $156 on

http://www.1stjeepparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html

However, you can try Napa with that part number, and if they have oe of their own, have them pull it and check the size of the core, of which they should certainly have a replacement.

Good luck,

You are the man. Looks like I get to do some minor wrenchin this weekend.

Sorry, forgot to mention, if you are going to undo the QD's on the fuel rail, you'll want to pick up two (2) 83502745 (I believe is the correct part number) at the dealer while you are there. Ask them what the part number for the seal kit for the fuel rail quick discos is, and they should set you straight. They are the replacement oring/spacer kits that will keep the quick disconnects from leaking when you re-assemble everything. They are like $12 each, but worth it in terms of aggrevation saved...

Have fun,

If you use the old O-rings they will leak every time, get new ones. I would also reccommend replacing the injector O-rings while the fuel rail is out.

I would also reccommend replacing the injector O-rings while the fuel rail is out.

x2, but you can get them cheaper @ Napa.

Enjoy,

Took the core out and checked it, nothing stuck in it but I guess the inner seal was messed up. Once i re-inserted it and started my baby up, it is leaking a lot worse then before. To the point it is undrivable. No parthouse's list a fuel rail. Contacted a dealerr here but have yet to hear back from them. Orielly's showed just the valve core, however they listed four different cores and no online availability.

Took the core out and checked it, nothing stuck in it but I guess the inner seal was messed up. Once i re-inserted it and started my baby up, it is leaking a lot worse then before. To the point it is undrivable. No parthouse's list a fuel rail. Contacted a dealerr here but have yet to hear back from them. Orielly's showed just the valve core, however they listed four different cores and no online availability.

That sucks; looks like the stealership wins again...

Good luck,

Sorry to hear about your leaking valve. I had mine open tonight. Had to release the pressure to replace a injector. I would suggest removing the schrader valve and trying to replace it from a bike tire. They should be similar or at least grab the rubber for the mean time. It might help you limp it to wherever you need to go if it your only vehicle. Good Luck.

Get a core from salvage is your only other option

I wouldn't mind doing this, but as I'm in Key Largo the closest junk yards are at least 45 miles away. Guess its a good thing I have the company truck. I can drive it around until parts arrive. Almost prefer new parts, more of a chance they work.

What about getting a valve stem cap and see if that seals until you can get the valve. All auto parts have the metal ones with heavy duty rubber seals. Hopefully the threads will match. Be careful though, we don't want a "thermal event".

pull the valve out and take it to the parts store-- tell them you would like an air conditioning schrader valve core "this size" and you'll be fine. The o rings for AC will hold up the fuel and will withstand much more pressure than the system will generate.

so the new parts finally got here today. Problem I'm having no is the fuel rail wont disconnect from the top of the injectors and the injector don't wont to come out of the intake. Is there a special way to remove these?

Back