• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Diff Fluid ... normal?

bigalpha

I changed the front diff fluid today. What came out was dark grey and kind of thick. Surely, that can't be normal.

Is teh color indicative of going too long w/o changing, or water contamination?

water contamination

Yeah they take the same thing, unless you require a friction modifier put that in first then the gear oil. There have been several threads on what grade is the best, I run whatever I can get ahold of here. I have to do alot of dif oil changes cause I play in water and sand/glacial silt and mud and ice (sometimes all at once). I love lube locker differential gaskets. I generally by my gear oil by the 5 gal bucket its easier to use and yes I can go through it in about a year and a half. sometimes I do changes just cause I think that water got in and other times its a just in case; however I have found water in my diff multiple times.

I don't do any towing right now, and I have an open rear diff. I will stick with 80-90W for the rear.

Should I change the rear fluid to something heavier if I start towing? Let's say I tow 2k#.

Quote:Should I change the rear fluid to something heavier if I start towing? Let's say I tow 2k#.

Yes. It is an advice from Chrysler in Germany. It is printed in the German Manual.

In German: Bei Anhangerbetrieb Getriebeol SAE 75W 140 Synthetic Gear Lubricant in der Hinterachse verwenden. Mit Trac-Lok Zusatzstoff 5%.:worship:

Back