• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swap: 96 4.0 auto engine where 92 4.0 manual tranny engine is

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
Soon i will be swapping an 96 4.0 into my 92 xj. I am not really worried about the electronics and sensors,I will just use my 92 stuff. my question is this: my 92 jeep has the 5 speed manual tranny and the 96 engine i will be putting in it was from an automatic xj. Can i just buy a pilot bearing for my 92 and put it in the 96,or will machining need to be done to the crankshaft to get it to fit the pilot bearing? I am hoping this is as simple as putting in a new pilot bearing. I will need to get the swap done as soon as possible once i get started,will not have time to take the engine/crankshaft in for machining if that is what needs to be done. thanks for the replies!! Ben

Napa shows the same pilot bearing for both years, so I think it's a straight swap. The end of the crank should already be drilled. I would highly recommend replacing the pilot bearing while you're in there since it's only $7.49 and a bad pilot can destroy the tranny input shaft (btdt). Maybe do the clutch too, depending on the mileage and condition.

Swap the flexplate for the flywheel, install the pilot bearing/bushing (there should be none in the automatic, since the coupling there is rigid) and install 1992 sensors (the 1996 is OBD-II, and some of the sensors are different. I don't recall which ones.)

Yeah - pretty simple, since it's not a conversion.

Allright I'm going to revive this old thread:

So am I to understand that an engine from an auto or from a manual will fit into a manual?

I just picked up a manual zj (yes, seriously, a manual zj) with a buggered engine. can I install one from an auto without using custom pilot bushing?
Thanks!

Back