• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stiffeners

47gmhracer

NAXJA Forum User
I need to know from everyone, what are you using for stiffeners??

Whether your a racer, crawling, or just beating on your XJ.

I have the T&J frame stiffeners already and I wanted to know how many people are actually going all out and plating the whole frame and everything.

also pics of what you have would help also!

thanks
Garrett

I have the hd offroad ones. Along with aj's sliders tacked on.
They work great, and I plan to get the front and back ones as well.

I need to know from everyone, what are you using for stiffeners??

Whether your a racer, crawling, or just beating on your XJ.

I have the T&J frame stiffeners already and I wanted to know how many people are actually going all out and plating the whole frame and everything.

also pics of what you have would help also!

thanks
Garrett
There you go, Jim's got it dialed.

I need to either get some plating and cut some out or buy some... Which do you guys think is better? strength and money wise

Just buy some. I don't know what your time is worth but to go buy the material, then measure (or copy it from another template) and cut out and finish grind (if using a torch) will take more time and you won;t save a ton.

Jim did exactly what I would have done. Oh wait, I sold him my TMR and T&J stiffeners.......:eeks1:

i say buy some as well. HDoffroad sells a kit for front to back for a damn good price. they are 10ga though, and some like it 3/16, in which case you should go ruffstuff frame stiffeners and the TMR front end stiffeners.

i say buy some as well. HDoffroad sells a kit for front to back for a damn good price. they are 10ga though, and some like it 3/16, in which case you should go ruffstuff frame stiffeners and the TMR front end stiffeners.

I've heard when it comes to the stiffeners, it's not mateial thickness but how it's attached and what it's actually doing to stiffen the rail not strengthen.

I run the TNT's with the T&J's on top of that

I also run the TMR's on my front frame plates. With that setup, I LOVED it.

This is the way to go, do it early, and you can save the unibody, do it late.. and not so much!

I'm already scared to see how much ive tweaked it... :doh:

Your probably ok Ryan, you dont strike me as the type of guy that has been launching the living daylights out of your XJ.... that being said, do it sooner than later, its cheap insurance!!

haha thanks Tony, Im hoping to have at least some kind of frame stiffener by the end of the year.. Also still on the debate on drop brackets or LA.... makes my head spin

This is the way to go, do it early, and you can save the unibody, do it late.. and not so much!

:doh :doh: :doh:

my forward leaf spring boxes are collapsing the floor, the front and rear doors touch each other at the top as the door swings open, and the rear hatch was about an inch off before i took it off. i should have stiffened it up BEFORE i started having fun.

too late now, might as well drive it till i cant no more :D :explosion

i HAD tnt with the tmr up front

honestly, they didn't seem to do anything. i guess they kept my frame from getting torn up. but the unibody still cracked everywhere, hatch and doors eventually had gaps, then i hit an obstacle and knocked the whole front end out of whack.

new jeep has the ruffstuff stiffeners on order and they will be tied into my sliders, front stiffy's and a cage

the cage will do more to save the unibody than anything else. the frame plating will do alot to help keep the bottom from twisting out of whack, but the top will still flex all over the place.

if you ever want to see how bad a unibody twists watch someones rear hatch while they flex the front end like on a RTI ramp. its scary.

Bumpers should help too right?

I would think a solid steel one would do a good job.

I don't know how much a prerunner tube style one would help though...

the cage will do more to save the unibody than anything else. the frame plating will do alot to help keep the bottom from twisting out of whack, but the top will still flex all over the place.

if you ever want to see how bad a unibody twists watch someones rear hatch while they flex the front end like on a RTI ramp. its scary.

yep, one time it didnt flex back lol. and for the rest of the life of the jeep one side of the hatch had a 1" gap and the other was almost tight against the body. every hatch i ran on it ended up cracking.

Gawd, you guys have me paranoid to hit a speed bump at anything over 10 mph until I cage it, plate it, add bumpers & skids, tie the suspension points together & add a 5 point harness...

Back