• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Ranger VS Jeep XJ

XxTwItChxX

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy is building a Ford ranger equal length I beams with coil overs up front and Deavers in the rear… And I am considering building a Jeepspeed (non race legal\ Toy) to play around with him….

Do you think building a jeep is just a waste of time, I know he will blow me away in the woops and open desert but he will also be putting $10,000 into the front in alone. And I like having 4x4.

So to the guys that own these things how do they handle in the open desert?

Ranger is the way to go. For the money, you will spank a XJ.
I disagree. For the money you won't.

If we're talking building both to their potential using stock style suspension, yes, the Ranger is going to most likely hand you your ass. It's IFS, that's where the XJ falls behind. With that being said, if your buddy put the same amount of $$ into his suspension as I have my XJ, I'd probably give him a pretty good run for his money, and most likely walk him. XJ's are cheap to build.

Also, look at the times between the 1450 class and the 1700 class. The times are pretty damn close between the two, 1450 class is stock style suspension btw, leaf spring, etc.

I've surprised quite a few rangers, but you won't get any of the ranger guys to really admit that.

With that being said, if I were going to build something, and money wasn't an issue, it wouldn't be an XJ. I'd build a standard cab short bed f150, linked and beamed and call it a day.

I have both...
Ranger for speed....
XJ for rocks/exploring....
My Ranger with a locker has never gotten stuck...yet...You can power up and over most anything. 4 wheel drive and speed normally means more maintenance and broken parts.

I had a friend with a Ranger built similar to what you described above. It was a nice clean truck, but the problem was it was kind of worthless for prerunning the Baja 500/1000 because it was 2wd.

A 4wd Cherokee will go almost as fast as a built Ranger, but it will beat you up more. Look up lap times at a Barstow or Lucerne race. 1450 class racers aren't that much faster than the Jeepspeeds.

Build the Cherokee to take a beating and laugh at your friends when they get stuck in sand or can't climb a steep, rocky hill.

Chris

Jim, you beat me to it on the lap times response.

And to answer your question, "how do they handle?" A built Jeepspeed is a blast to drive. I co-drove for a season in a 500HP 7 unlimited Ranger. The next year I built and drove a Jeepspeed. It wasn't anywhere near as fast but it's still a ton of fun.

Chris

I really like your jeep jim its actually one of the ones that really pushed me toward the jeep XJ after seeing your ocotillo wells video.

How much would you say you have into your jeep crazyjim. not including the jeep its self.

Budget will be factor with this build.
Thanks dude, I appreciate that.

As for how much I have into it, not much. I bought a lot of parts used, and some free from the karma thread. I'm completely re-doing my Jeep now, new suspension etc all around, but as you can see you CAN go fast on a budget. I just wanna go A LITTLE faster and that's costing me more.

I've probably got right around $2000 into my entire suspension/wheel/tire setup. That's fox 2.0 adjustables all the way around, air bumps up front, frame stiffening, springs, wheels, tires, etc.

It comes down to money, but if you spent evenly between a Ranger or a XJ, say 15k, there is no way the XJ will perform even close to the Ranger. Right out of the gate you are starting out with a better platform, tons of parts and easy fab work. Yes I like XJ's, even own one, But they don't work that great, not that JeepSpeed is not a great class, but we are talking prerunning, not racing..The Ranger will spank dollar for dollar.

It comes down to money, but if you spent evenly between a Ranger or a XJ, say 15k, there is no way the XJ will perform even close to the Ranger. Right out of the gate you are starting out with a better platform, tons of parts and easy fab work. Yes I like XJ's, even own one, But they don't work that great, not that JeepSpeed is not a great class, but we are talking prerunning, not racing..The Ranger will spank dollar for dollar.

I like that i am getting both opinons but it sounds like if i dont have 15K to through into a ranger i would have more run with a 5k-7k jeep.

Thanks dude, I appreciate that.

As for how much I have into it, not much. I bought a lot of parts used, and some free from the karma thread. I'm completely re-doing my Jeep now, new suspension etc all around, but as you can see you CAN go fast on a budget. I just wanna go A LITTLE faster and that's costing me more.

I've probably got right around $2000 into my entire suspension/wheel/tire setup. That's fox 2.0 adjustables all the way around, air bumps up front, frame stiffening, springs, wheels, tires, etc.

REALLY!!!!! That’s really good. So Jim........ I am not sure if this is asking to much or even possible to answer but if you were to start from a stock XJ all over again what would you do different as far as suspension. I was reading your thread a little and you had mentioned custom long arms up front, why not a kit?

Like i said there might be a little to much to discuss to answer that, but as much info as possible would be appreciated. ( I am on Pirate4x4 allot so if I am wasting time or this has already been discussed just tell me to "GO SEARCH NEWB")

THanks again,

My buddy Logan has a ranger on 33's locked front and rear and he can keep up with me on the trail ( I have 33's and f/r lockers).

In the rough, it is a different story. All he has is a bedcage in the rear with stock leafs, some lift coils in the front with some 6100 bilsteins and it flys. (Granted he is a good driver and has his shocks valved by someone who really knows what he is doing)

For comparision I have fox 10" resivors in the front and fox 14" resivors with a "shock hoop" and the 11 leaf national pack in the rear. I agree that with some money a jeep with do well, but the TTB front end on a ranger handles better dollar for dollar than an xj.

We keep talking dollar for dollar... you have to start at a dollar amount, it's all relative. If you're talking 5k dollar for dollar, I think you could build a better XJ. If you're talking 10k dollar for dollar I think you'd be pretty damn close, and if you're talking 15k dollar for dollar I think the ranger is going to edge the XJ out.

But when it all comes down to it, numbers don't lie, and again, if you look at the numbers for 1700 and 1450 they're pretty damn close. Now keep in mind that 1700 is limited to 10" up front and 12" in the rear... that's nothing.

I like that i am getting both opinons but it sounds like if i dont have 15K to through into a ranger i would have more run with a 5k-7k jeep.

REALLY!!!!! That’s really good. So Jim........ I am not sure if this is asking to much or even possible to answer but if you were to start from a stock XJ all over again what would you do different as far as suspension. I was reading your thread a little and you had mentioned custom long arms up front, why not a kit?

Like i said there might be a little to much to discuss to answer that, but as much info as possible would be appreciated. ( I am on Pirate4x4 allot so if I am wasting time or this has already been discussed just tell me to "GO SEARCH NEWB")

THanks again,

Well, that's a hard question to answer. The reason I say custom 4 link is because I have no choice now if I ever wanted to do a 4 link. I've got TNT stiffeners, and T&J stiffeners over the top of them. There isn't a cross member that will mount up now. So if I did one I would have to weld it all together. Realistically though I'll probably never go long arm, I get just as much out of my short arm kit with drop brackets. The only down side I see to short arms it the arc path during travel, with 10" it's not a big deal, but I think with anything more it'll become a problem.

I can't say that I'd do anything differently from the get go, as it helped me learn my Jeep inside and out and taught me what worked and what didn't. I am however now going a completely different route, I'll be running a coilover up front with a few tweaks here and there, it'll be tough but hopefully worth it.

As for the rear, I thought about running spring under, and may still, but for the time being I'll just be running some Deavers SOA.

Words to the wise though, things that I've learned:

1.) Frame stiffening is your friend, it'll make a night and day difference on the feel of your truck, you'll actually be able to feel suspension. I liked the TNT's but noticed the most difference when I added the T&J's on top of them, as well as the TMR front frame plates. I think the combination of them helps.

2.) If you're going to go long arm, do it before you do any frame stiffening, and if you're going to do it then do it right. Go with a true 4 link kit like the full traction kit. It's spendy but worth it.

3.) Air bumps are your friend. Honestly one of the best mods I've done suspension wise.

4.) Strengthen your coil bucket / mount. The sheet metal around mine is bending, and now my bump stop is pointing forward from taking a beating.

Jim, I love your passion for the XJ!!! and by the way your dog is really cool. I have got to ask you though, Do you really think that if you took a cheesy Ranger with equal beams and a really cheap linked rear you would ever see my tail lights after 200 yards? Maybe, but just think how cheap you could do that for compared to trying to milk 10 inch's of travel out of a XJ?

:peace:

Back