• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where to buy 2wd stub axle

4Doors

NAXJA Forum User
I drive a 2wd and am replacing my bearings with Timkens, but one of my stub axles is frozen in place. I would just take it to be pressed out, but so far I've been unable to thread the nut back on because of rust, so I don't want to spend the $$ to have it pressed if I can't even use the stub anyway. Problem is, I've searched online and can't find any stub axle replacements for a 2wd. Anyone know where to get them?

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I figured the Prerunner forum would attract more 2wd guys than anywhere else.

There a ton of them at pick-a-part in Hesperia.

Just find a set of regular stub shafts and cut the ears off with a hack saw. I carry a pair for trail repairs already mounted to uni-bearings. I yank the broken shaft, stuff a rag into the tube and bolt in the home made stubby.

Yeah I'm just going to have to make a run to the JY tomorrow. No problem though, there's usually plenty of other things I "need" when I'm there.

Just find a set of regular stub shafts and cut the ears off with a hack saw. I carry a pair for trail repairs already mounted to uni-bearings. I yank the broken shaft, stuff a rag into the tube and bolt in the home made stubby.

There's no reason to even cut the ears off, just run them the way they are.

pardon my ignorance, but why do you need a stub shaft to put in the hub for a 2WD? is the hub different than a 4WD one?

There's no reason to even cut the ears off, just run them the way they are.

Well I do because they take up less room in the spare parts box. I wasn't sure if there was any interference with the axle beam on the 2wd.

pardon my ignorance, but why do you need a stub shaft to put in the hub for a 2WD? is the hub different than a 4WD one?

The 2wd axle beam uses the same uni-bearings as the 4wd and you have to have the stubby or "outer" shaft to keep proper bearing pre-load on the uni-bearings other wise the bearings will self destruct quickly. The spec on the axle nut is 175 ftlbs for those that might search.

Not all 2WD use a one piece spindle. Many use the same 4WD spindle and hubs assembly.

Back