• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

change CV drive shaft before or after axle swap?

sexj69

NAXJA Forum User
This my first post so please excuse my provocative name as ive just been a lurker for some time now, but I figured it would garner more attention when I did finally feel a qustion was appropriate to post. My brother in law got a TRD Pro Taco and he makes sure to rub it in every time I Roll up in my SExJ and my wife gives me $hit for it. So now I have a bet with my wife that for 20 grand I can make a better Jeep than a buying a brand new Wrangler JL which she so desperately wants me to get... Screw JL's and screw Taco's, I have a vendetta to all XJ haterz out there, So here it goes...

My baby is a beautiful 4"-5" lifted red 95 SExJ, but she needs some help in her drive train parts so I am looking put a T-4 turboed 383 Small Block Chevy Swap putting around 550 horseprs 500 lbs/ft torque deep inside her, while changing the transmission to a 460LE or a manual TURBO 400(open to suggestions on these) Maybe even a 6 speed T56, keeping the 231J transfer case but changing out the axles to either a late 70's ford 9 inch rear with DANA 44 front or D 60's with either leafs or coil overs depending on what happens here, welding up four link rears and fronts if I go with coils in the rear or is it possible have leafs and a four link???

What I am hoping to achieve first of all a Bad A$$ SExJ, secondly a rig capable of towing a 5th wheel, and something that would Rip a new rear hole in anyone that wants to step up on a dirt track especially a dirty mouth loose toothed Taco rider or a Mr. I hate money so I throw it all away on a JL Driver.

My question is do I stick with my old man leafs or go with a coil setup considering the load I want to tow with this beast, also considering that I want a mix between torque and speed what transmission would you guys recommend? Im also in dire need of an immediate transfer case rebuild so should I get the SYE and CV now or just an SYE and save the drive shaft when the new axles are in?

I know I should have broken this up but once I got these bud heavy's in me, my forum etiquette went out the window.I hope this finds anyone well whom wants to aid in destroying Taco's and money wasters alike and vow to XJ supremacy above all!

I'd wait on new driveshafts until you're done with the axles and suspension work, or you're going to end up doing them twice to get the length corrected.

- dont waste your time with a small block. HP per dollar, your better option is an LS.
- with the price of SD60s these days, im not sure id even consider a D44 unless we were talking a dynatrac axle or something else aftermarket.
- go with a 4L80 over the 4L60. youre going to be pulling a 5th wheel afterall.

this is a joke right?

Rockwell's and sawzall is all thts needed.
Why on earth would you put baby v-8 in it. A p pumped cummins with injectors fuel pate modding , turbo maybe twins. Will make gobs more power. You may even get decent fuel mileage towing the 5th wheel. Then unhook and hit the drag strip and leave em all in a cloud of black.

Built Cummins built 47re 60 70 combo. Shit wait minute why not hook the 5th wheel to the pickup these parts game out of.

tow w/ a 5th wheel ? need to extend ur wheel base by 3' and track width by 1'. at least. now get to work . or just by a full size pup truck.

Back