• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H4 e-code housing differences?

steventure

NAXJA Forum User
After doing much headlight research, I think I'm going with upgrading my harness and do the H4 conversion with e-code housing. Browsing Q-tec and I see many different options. I understand the difference between DOT and E-code housing. But is there a difference between the different E-code ECE housing options and brands? Or are they all basically the same, regarding light pattern. Thanks.

E-Code and DOT is basically where the light is focused on the side. Mainly, as to where they want road signs seen. I have Autopal and Cibie on my XJs. I think I have a Hella and something other (quality make though) on my MB 240D. The Autopals are a vast improvement over the stock Halogen bulbs. The Cibies give a better cutoff. I haven't had the Cibies on Hi Beam though. I think Hella is a good option too, possibly Bosch. Marchal is you can find them, but there more Ferrari priced and intended.
Some people have having good luck with LEDs. I haven't tried that route yet.

Just make sure to purchase an all glass E-Code housing. E-Code is a fixed light pattern that should not vary between brands. Plastic H-4 headlamp parts means poor quality. Hella, Bosch, Cibie, are the best, and Auto-Pal is a close second.

Ok good to know. I didn't realize the housing options varied that much. Best to give a set a try and see how I like em, and pairing them with a wiring harness from headlightservices. Looking at the Rampage MSRs currently.

I have cheap LEDs on my TJ and while they're bright and I've adjusted the cutoff I still get flashed by people at night. And obviously, living in the midwest, the cheap LEDs don't melt snow and ice.

I've been very happy with my Autopals for 10 years or so now - even before adding a relay harness (which I finally did last year), the improvement over old-school sealed-beams was vast.

My Autopals even came with bulbs, which saved me a few bucks at the time I upgraded. I don't know if the Hella/Cibie/Bosch ones do, but that doesn't necessarily have to be a criteria on your selection either.

I've been very happy with my Autopals for 10 years or so now - even before adding a relay harness (which I finally did last year), the improvement over old-school sealed-beams was vast.

My Autopals even came with bulbs, which saved me a few bucks at the time I upgraded. I don't know if the Hella/Cibie/Bosch ones do, but that doesn't necessarily have to be a criteria on your selection either.

I ran the Autopals for about 2 years. No real issues. I did use the bulbs that came with them. I can't remember if I upgraded the bulbs. I think I did. I think GE Nightrangers. Higher watts bulbs wear out faster. The Cibies I bought did not come with bulbs. I can't remember wich ones I bought. GE, Osram, Navara and Flosser are good.

For the OP, it would depend on which part of Indiana he's at. Also, is deer avoidance is a problem. To me the difference between the Autopals and Cibies is slight. I drive some roads in WV, so slight might mean over the hill. Not good. In Central Indiana not so much.

I have AutoPal and Hella. I have had Cibie.

I would go with E-Code Hella, Bosch, Cibie, or Auto-Pal, before any Rampage products.

I put in a pair of AutoPals H4 e-code housings and a homemade relay harness at least 10 years ago. Nice sharp cutoff on the beam pattern, and I usually run NAPA house brand 55/100 watt bulbs which are OSRAM and last 2-3 years for me. I never get flashed with the low beams and the brights are serious long distance deer spotters. If I had to do it over today, I'd consider some of the LED headlights on the market now.

The issue I had with the Autopals is how thin and weak the glass is.
Bought a pair of them ten years ago and in a week-long trip to Death Valley and northern Nevada, the gravel roads broke both of them.
I have since repeated the trip several times running IPF headlights without any breakage.

I have had rocks/gravel crack 4 Cherokee windshields, the AutoPal headlights are still fine. If breakage is a concern, buy Autopal, as they are less costly to replace.

I have had rocks/gravel crack 4 Cherokee windshields, the AutoPal headlights are still fine. If breakage is a concern, buy Autopal, as they are less costly to replace.

Low replacement cost is certainly a plus.

You could probably also try one of those films they put on plastic lights, it may help protect the glass too.

If you want legal, just pick up some hella 55w on Amazon. I run the hella 80w bulbs in mine.
If you want off the shelf at your local parts store. Sylvania Silverstar bulbs.
ordered some Hella e-codes. thanks for the advice. now to find a bulb to pair them with

https://www.headlightservices.com/CherokeeHarness.html

I use this harness with Hella Lamps and Hella Bulbs (bought here: Headlamp + Bulb). I have not tried other headlamps or bulbs in the E-code variety, but can't imagine what would be better than this set-up. The difference compared to stock DOT was pretty insane to me, so I wouldn't worry too much

This page references Daniel Stern's webpage often. Between this and Daniel Stern, you should get a ton of information.

I bought the linked harness instead of a cheap one, because of how helpful the owner was. Extremely happy with it.

Back