• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shout out to MMO

tjmotter

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
'90 XJ with 200,000 miles. Left some bad gas in it last year and while it was running fine, gas mileage dropped off a cliff so I pulled the plugs to find fouling on 3 cylinders. I did a leak down test on all the cylinders (cold) and had 25% leak down on 3 but 50% leak down on the other 3 with all the air coming out of the crankcase. My working theory was that the bad gas caused the top compression rings to stick.

Tried the "old school" approach and poured a couple of ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder and let it sit for a couple of days. Magically I am now back to 25% leak down (cold engine) on all cylinders. I suspect it will get better once I fire it up for a bit. Pretty good considering the miles on the old girl.

Love that stuff, also splash a little in every small engine gas tank. Its a mystery how it works!

Also sea foam top engine spray! Most of the time when your dealing with old combustion engines its just gunk somewhere causing issues.

Back