• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2003 TJ 4.0 in an 01Xj

cypressdog

NAXJA Forum User
I was curious if a 2003 TJ 4.0 could swap into an 01 XJ? Atleast the long block will the accessories fit and would the computer work?

Bollt in, no. Fit with lots of extra work and expenses, yes.

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks do not interchange with 2000+ TJ Wrangler or any WJ Grand Cherokee blocks without significant modifications.

TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L Engine block castings underwent major physical design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand Cherokee, and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These “S” VIN code engine blocks from a 1999-04 WJ Grand Cherokee and 2000-06 TJ Wrangler are not bolt on interchangeable with any XJ Cherokee or ZJ Grand Cherokee engine block.

The reason why these blocks do not interchange is that the casting design changes relocated numerous bolt holes, altered the physical location of all the fan belt driven accessories, and in some areas eliminated the metal that could be drilled and tapped for the earlier configuration of motor mount bolt holes and fan belt driven accessory mounting bracket bolt holes.

XJ compatible engine are as common as dirt. Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, motor mounts, throttle body, fuel injector rail, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine computer sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

If your 2000-2001 XJ Cherokee has a cracked 0331 head, buy a good used redesigned and more durable TUPY 0331 head from a 2002+ 4.0L TJ Wrangler or WJ Grand Cherokee.

Last edited:
Bollt in, no. Fit with lots of extra work and expenses, yes.

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks do not interchange with 2000+ TJ Wrangler or any WJ Grand Cherokee blocks without significant modifications.

TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L Engine block castings underwent major physical design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand Cherokee, and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These “S” VIN code engine blocks from a 1999-04 WJ Grand Cherokee and 2000-06 TJ Wrangler are not bolt on interchangeable with any XJ Cherokee or ZJ Grand Cherokee engine block.

The reason why these blocks do not interchange is that the casting design changes relocated numerous bolt holes, altered the physical location of all the fan belt driven accessories, and in some areas eliminated the metal that could be drilled and tapped for the earlier configuration of motor mount bolt holes and fan belt driven accessory mounting bracket bolt holes.

XJ compatible engine are as common as dirt. Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, motor mounts, throttle body, fuel injector rail, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine computer sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

If your 2000-2001 XJ Cherokee has a cracked 0331 head, buy a good used redesigned and more durable TUPY 0331 head from a 2002+ 4.0L TJ Wrangler or WJ Grand Cherokee.
Thank you.

Water pump wont bolt up the same, engine mounts will need spacers etc.

i have a 03 TJ 4.0 in my 2001 XJ.

running all XJ components. I cant use all the bolts on my XJ water pump cuz the TJ/WJ has different style water pump and power steering bracket etc.

it still works fine though i just used a ton of right stuff gasket maker to seal it. been fine fore 40k miles

Back