• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 airbag light

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
99 auto

airbag light on/off every few minutes more/less...

Gauges work, horn works, dorman cruise equip clockspring replaced 1.5yr ago. No changes by wiggling wires behind ACM. Never have had a seatbelt light but something dies plug into the drivers seat.

What All will cause this light?

Can grounds safely be undone and tested with the battery disconnected?

Is there a test to confirm the health of the airbag control module?

you can read the airbag codes in the obd2 port,. iirc the ground for the airbag pcm is under the center console between the seats, could be a weak ground there, i always d/c the battery for 5 + minutes before messing with any airbag stuff on the jeeps.

not sure what you mean by something dies when plugging into drivers seat

*Something does plug into the driver seat*
I have no codes that are being read on the obd port. Are airbag codes something that must be read once the light illuminates? Otherwise there are No codes for airbag.

Not all scan tools will communicate with the srs. I just fixed wife's light tho, center console bracket was broken and console was resting on srs module connector. I could wiggle it and light would turn on and off. Probably needs a module now but I put the dirtbound console bracket on and wedged a piece of hose under the module connector and has been good for about 1+2 months now. If the light is on when you are trying to pull codes for this reason, you maybe unable to communicate as well, as my issue was cutting the power or ground to the module. One time I was able to read an intermittent power code from, but never again.

Not all scan tools will communicate with the srs. I just fixed wife's light tho, center console bracket was broken and console was resting on srs module connector. I could wiggle it and light would turn on and off. Probably needs a module now but I put the dirtbound console bracket on and wedged a piece of hose under the module connector and has been good for about 1+2 months now. If the light is on when you are trying to pull codes for this reason, you maybe unable to communicate as well, as my issue was cutting the power or ground to the module. One time I was able to read an intermittent power code from, but never again.
How much does a scanner really read this old of a vehicle?

I'll give the plug another look maybe pull it off and clean?

I certainly hope the clock spring is not the issue, there are no other associated issues that are typical of it being bad.

Ground wiring has no breakage or cuts, I had welded up a replacement center console support, it fits as stock so no rubbing should be a problem.

I suppose I'll pull the steering wheel bits off to make sure everything is plugged in cleanly still.

Back