• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pattern Check

clydefrog

NAXJA Forum User
Ford 8.8 with G2 4.56 gears, new bearings and Detroit Tru-trac.

I think I am going to run it, heel contact a bit much but backlash is already pretty tight at .012 avg. Spec is .011-.016.
IMG_5964.jpg

IMG_5965.jpg

Coast side makes my want to add a shim on the pinion but I don't want to throw off my drive side. Thoughts?
IMG_5966.jpg

I wouldn't run it! Try tightening the backlash before doing anything else.

Then you going to have to play with pinion depth!

I believe the spec is .008-.015" but that change will be significant!

If that is a G2 gear (5 cut) than it should have a .006 engraved in the side of the ring gear, meaning set BL to that. The spec you're referring to is for a OE gear (2 cut)....

You need to tighten BL, and increase depth, as per that pattern and your given current BL...

Also try to get a more consistent pattern, make sure and apply pressure to the ring gear!

Ok, much better. I added .003 to the pinion depth (wish I went with .005) and decreased my backlash down to .007 which, from what everyone is telling me, a bit loose. Pinion seems a bit shallow. I did put significant pull or resistance on the ring gear when I spun the pinion but the consistency is a bit off.

Thanks for all the advise. This is my first 8.8 regear. I really wish the Dana products did shims on the outside like ford, makes adjusting backlash a breeze!

IMG_5970.jpg

IMG_5971.jpg

IMG_5972.jpg

That's looking a lot better! MY 8.25 is adjustable by a pre-load/backlash spanner nut, it doesn't get any easier than that.

Back