• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

difference between Sanden SD709 and SD7H15

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
My 01 XJ came with a Sanden SD7H15 compressor. Most of the auto parts stores list SD709 compressors as direct fit. They look the same. Auto Zone sells a SD7H15 for about $25 more. From research online, about all I can find some people saying SD709 were originally for R-12 and seals may not be compatible with R-134a but people are saying the SD709 made today can use either. Does anyone know if this is true? I'm guessing most folks are dropping SD709 in their XJ's and there are no problems.

My '98 XJ has the SD7H15 compressor (R-134a).

My '96 XJ has the SD709 (is uses R-134a).

My '93 XJ (now deceased) had the SD709 (it used R-12).

In all 3 cases, the way(s) in which the hoses attached at the rear of the compressor
were all different from each other. I advise you to be certain that your hoses will
be able to fit on to the compressor that you are thinking of buying.

Also...

The SDH15 has a splined shaft with which to attach the pulley clutch plate. There are
no provisions to attach a puller onto the pulley clutch plate. If you ever find the need
to remove it, so you have to whack it with a hammer and lever it out with a pair of
screwdrivers (a crude, cave-man influenced design, in my opinion).

The SD709 has a Woodruff key shaft which with to attach the pulley clutch plate.
Here, the clutch plate has 3 threaded holes with which to attach a pulley puller.
A smarter, and more civil way to go for removing that part.

Thanks. Mine has the splines but it hasn't been too hard to get the clutch plate off. I have a tool that isn't quite right for the job, but does thread into the hole around the nut enough that the clutch plate comes right off. :) Had to pull the clutch plate off about 6 years ago to reshim it.

I hate to revive an old thread but in my research this is the only one that pops up, on all of Google. Anyway, how do you tell which one you have? I've yet to pull mine as I need to order my new one before I tear things down

Back