• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas mileage 2001 specific solutions?

Westernhunter

NAXJA Forum User
So I just took a 500 mile trip in the Jeep and, boy this thing sucks gas! It's a 2001 with 80,000 miles. 5" lift, 33x10.5 BFGs, 4;56 gears, heavy bumpers front and back.
The rear drive shaft is hitting the stock muffler on steep hill climbs. Something has shifted. It's time for a new muffler. What do you suggest? Is there anything that can be done with the stock cats? I have 3. It throws no cel, and seems to run great, but the fuel usage is insane. My first priority is to keep it dependable, so I will not do anything too radical.
Not daily driven. It would bankrupt me.

with those tires, those gears, less lift, and bumpers/armor i averaged 15.5 mpg cross country and back on a 4.0 with almost 200k.

so x2 on what ridiculous is to you.

I live in Utah also. I was getting 10-14 mpg no matter what in the winter, and 13-16 summer. I just replaced my intake/exhaust manifold gasket. The gasket was allowing UN-metered air into the intake. So in turn it was reading lean, dumping in more fuel. Instantly I found around 3-5 mpg. As for exhaust I still have stock so I can not help you there.

I have a 2.5" flowmaster 50 series cat back and magnaflow high flow cat from Rustys offroad. I also did 5.0 injectors, 62mm throttle body and custom k&n cowl intake. Oh yeah 4.56's, 6" lift and 35/36's and I'm lucky to get 250 miles per tank. I used to get 300 so that's not too bad considering.

Back