• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with Cruise Control

tuxfan212

NAXJA Forum User
I have been trying to get mine working for a while now and just need some help figuring out the problem. I used the Factory Service manual to check most of the components. I repaired all of my vacuum lines and have a very strong vacuum to the servo. The elctrical connection to the servo is also correct according to the manual. The PCM test indicated either the stop lamp switch or the speed control switch. I cant figure out how to test either of these components and I am assuming it is not the stop lamp switch as my stop lamps work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have searched here and on cherokee forum and cannot quite figure out what to do next.

What year?

94... ok it's not going to be the clockspring since there isn't one.

Have you tried throwing parts yet? Not normally something I would suggest but the switches should run you less than 20 bucks all told at a junkyard.

There should be a testing procedure in the FSM for them somewhere, don't have a 94 FSM on hand but you should be able to use the schematics for the switches and a multimeter to get the job done.

That is what I was thinking and I have thrown a few parts but not the switch yet. Thats really what I want is a schematic of the switches both of the stop lamp and speed control switch so that I can test them. I was kind of wondering what other people have done. Anyway it does not engage AT ALL when pressed. I am a college student so throwing parts is a bit on the difficult side as far as cost. I am very good with electronics and soldering typically but I cant find the plug or a schematic for the speed control switch.

The plug is probably up under the dash or inside the steering column, it'll be a wide flat one with a bunch of ~14ga wires going to it. This is one of the reasons I really don't like the old style column... such a pain to debug since it's assembled like a matryoshka doll with a steering wheel on the end.

It *should* be in the FSM, I do not remember what section, probably under "vehicle speed control" or electrical.

Back