• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

converting pas. side drop to driver side

94xjkyle

NAXJA Forum User
a guy at my work is trying to get rid of several d44 front axles out of old chevy trucs but they are all pas. side drop. is there a way to make one of these into a driver side drop? im thinking of removing the nuckles from the tubes then removing the tubes from the diff and then just swaping left tube with the right tube and then puting the nuckles back on. would that work?

You can build it to be a driver's side drop, but unless its free, its probably easier just to find a driver's side drop. At any rate, there's much more involved to doing it than how you laid it out.

94xjkyle said:
a guy at my work is trying to get rid of several d44 front axles out of old chevy trucs but they are all pas. side drop. is there a way to make one of these into a driver side drop? im thinking of removing the nuckles from the tubes then removing the tubes from the diff and then just swaping left tube with the right tube and then puting the nuckles back on. would that work?
If you have the time and desire, that's the way to do it.

i can ge an 8 lug d44 pass side drop for free, how do i make it a driver side drop, exactly. if i dont alter the length of the tubes, and i just swithch sides with them can i use the same axle shafts?

or do what I did and get a dana 300. If I were to do it again, I would have just got a drivers side drop axle, less hassle. If you have any questions, let me know.

davidt said:
or do what I did and get a dana 300. If I were to do it again, I would have just got a drivers side drop axle, less hassle. If you have any questions, let me know.

So if someone bought a Passenger side drop axle and used a Dana 300 in their cherokee they wouldnt need to do the flip kit ? , if so then I mine as well get a passenger drop axle and it will save me the money of buying a flip kit.

lickdj said:
So if someone bought a Passenger side drop axle and used a Dana 300 in their cherokee they wouldnt need to do the flip kit ? , if so then I mine as well get a passenger drop axle and it will save me the money of buying a flip kit.
that is correct, but you need a 23 spline output trans (any ax-15 or 91+ AW4). There is a lot more fab work involved and it will take much longer if you go this route, but it is sweet to have twin sticks :D.

Yes you could simply swap the tubes from one side to the other. That means you will also have to deal with mounts and such. If you are redoing your mounts anyway, well it is doable but a fair amount of work. Personally I would pull the tubes from the pumpkin and out of the knuckles, then take it to a shop that has the alignment jigs already built and have them reassemble it with new tube. If you are not familiar with getting everything set up and aligned, then the correct process for welding it so it doesn't warp, as well as having all the alignment stuff, it is a formidable job. If you have all the tools and the jigs as well as the experience, you could probably do it in an afternoon. Just getting it torn down into parts can take a day without the tools and experience.

Also, just remember that the Chevy D44's are Low Pinion. That will be way too much work for a low pinion drivers drop D44. If you want one of those, get a Waggy axle. In fact, I've got one I'll sell you cheap! Jeff

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Also, just remember that the Chevy D44's are Low Pinion. That will be way too much work for a low pinion drivers drop D44. If you want one of those, get a Waggy axle. In fact, I've got one I'll sell you cheap! Jeff
But it should have the flat top knuckles you would want for high steer, Id grap it for the knuckles and get a HP Ford front to toss the 8 lug chevy knuckles on.

Back