• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant gauge reading low... rough idle.. 4.0

Talyn

NAXJA Forum User
Ok.. This is on a 1994 ZJ 4.0. I know that this is an XJ forum (I have an Xj as well), but it is a probelm on teh 4.0 engine, so it is very similar.

Any ways.. first problem. The coolant gauge reads low. really low. I had the dealer verify that the engine was heating up with the DRB machine. It was.. at the time it was at 190*, but the gauge was only 1/8 of the way up (the gauge is in teh same increments as on the XJ). I replaced the sender twice. tested the sender as well. This is the sender on teh back of the head. I checked teh wire going to the gauge for continuty and avoltage drop and it was found good. I also swapped out the orginal gauge cluster for a used one and the same thing happens. I also checked teh plugs becaus eif it was actually reading that low the plugs would show it. And they looked good. The gas mileage is fine as well.

Any ideas? I am stumped on this one.

Also it runs rough at idle after it heats up. The engine mounts are good, replaced the tranny mount. Did a full tune up not to long ago (plugs, wires, dis cap, dis rotor, air filter). I also took off the TB and cleaned it and the IAC. This is only at idle that it runs rough. I was thinking maybe the TPS?

-Chris

Sounds dumb check ground strap to engine. Are any other gauges doing something strange?

ground strap should be attached in the back of the engine near where the guage sending unit is.. it loops around a studded head bolt and attaches to the firewall. If it isnt there, make one. Also make a good battery to body ground.

Back