• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 Cherokee Lift Questions

DarkoShadow

NAXJA Forum User
1989 Cherokee Pioneer
-4.0 - Renix
-AX-15
-NP-23
-Dana 35

Wanting get a decent lift on, like any other Jeep owner. Thinking 3" - 4.5" and doing lots of research learning about driveline angles, death wobble, and premature failure of suspension parts.

I understand that the best upgrade option would to go SYE / new driveline to fix vibrations for the back end. And to have better trac bar for up front.... Currently not enough funding for SYE/driveshaft, but being a daily driver and not going off road AT ALL... I'm thinking I should be ok...?

Currently have:
3.5 lift Coils
Extended sway links
Getting new trac bar soon
1" transfer case drop
New 3.5" lift leaf springs (with angled shims)
Extended shackles
All 4 new lifted shocks
BPE's for all shocks
Getting extended brake lines soon

Nothing has been installed yet, just making a large pile of parts in my garage until the day comes to put it all together at once.

I'm so close, just want to get it going to see it lifted and dont want the Jeep to be down for more than a few days, as I work and drive it 50 miles 5 days a week. Thought I could come back later for the SYE. I know different configurations of tranny/trans case/axel may be able to lift without SYE. Is my combination ok for liftoff?

Also... would I need to use the shackles at all?
With this much lift would it be ok to drive with stock control arms? I want to get longer lower arms, but again... I'm not made of money.

Any thoughts?

If you stay at 3.5 you probably be ok with what you have. Different control arms are nice but for street duty I think you'll be fine. The biggest issue you'll see with stock arms is they hit the shock mount when drooping. Iwould run the stock shackles for now.

The vibes can be hit or miss. With a drop you might be ok. I ran 3.5 with a drop for a long time and it was ok.

I would consider doing the brake lines with the lift tho and not waiting. They'll be tight with that much. You can remove the hard line brackets a d bend the lines down for some slack but stainless lines are a good upgrade especially if the hoses are already old.

Awsome, that's kinda what I was thinking. Of course I'll get the brake lines. My main concern is that i didn't want the drive shaft to pop out of the tcase driving down the freeway.
I know I need to get a SYE/shaft down the road but with the lift parts I have so far is my current driveshaft too short?
I can't afford to put it all together just to see that I need that SYE now.
I guess if it really came down to I could fabricate some engine mount spacers, but I think that would only help the angle, not the overall length...
Is this about as high as I can lift before needing the SYE/shaft?
3.5" - 4.5"

Back