• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

338 Lapua magnum.

tbburg

NAXJA Forum User
'Thinking about a new rifle. This time something long range. As I don't have the funds for .50BMG reloading equipment, so it will have to be something that will fit in one of my current presses.

'Kicking around a few ideas, and the current issue of American Rifleman came in. 'Has a new Savage 338 on the cover. 'Never given much thought to this cartridge before,...

My presses will handle the parent 416 Rigby, so the 338 Lapua is a go from that angle, just need dies and a shell plate.

Any of you gun nuts have real world experience with the 338L.M?

It's my favorite weapon in the Blackhawk Down/Joint Typhoon Rising games ;)

In all seriousness, no actual experience, but I hear it is expensive to shoot - other than that, I would love to have one myself....never heard anything else bad about it...

EDIT: just realized you were talking about reloading your own - not sure how pricey that is or how that works....but from what I hear, you can't beat it for long range and accuracy....

It's my favorite weapon in the Blackhawk Down/Joint Typhoon Rising games ;)
Yeah, my "experience" with it is all in "Counterstrike". 'Don't know how realistic it was(probably not very,...) but it sure pissed off EVERYBODY on the op team when I got ahold of the 338 sniper rifle.
EDIT: just realized you were talking about reloading your own - not sure how pricey that is or how that works....but from what I hear, you can't beat it for long range and accuracy....
Not sure about the VLD match bullets. I'm guessing they're hella-expensive, but cheaper then the 4-6 bucks a round the commercial loads cost. Everything else is just massive amounts of powder and magnum rifle primers. :roll:

Personal experience, no.

I have a friend, ex-Army M.P. (Vietnam), ex-Wash. D.C. cop, ex-Deputy Sheriff Colorado, Gunsmith and member of the American Pistolsmiths Guild and he swears by the .338 Lapua.

Coming from anyone else, his claims for its performance would have set of my highly-attuned BS meter.

No personal experience with the 338 Lapua,but with the 338 win mag.
About 5 rds from a bench is enough fun for the day with it even with shoulder protection.

That being said- I put over 100rds thru it during load development.And ended up with a good hunting load.
Gun is a Rem 700 Stainless Synthetic,really a too light piece to tame recoil.

Wayne

'Thinking about a new rifle. This time something long range. As I don't have the funds for .50BMG reloading equipment, so it will have to be something that will fit in one of my current presses.

'Kicking around a few ideas, and the current issue of American Rifleman came in. 'Has a new Savage 338 on the cover. 'Never given much thought to this cartridge before,...

My presses will handle the parent 416 Rigby, so the 338 Lapua is a go from that angle, just need dies and a shell plate.

Any of you gun nuts have real world experience with the 338L.M?

What do want this rifle for?

What do want this rifle for?
Open desert target shooting in the 600+yard out to how ever far I can take it. Something to play with.

If I want to be perfectly honest about it, I'd say I just feel like buying another gun. :D
Looking over the collection, about the only thing left is a gopher gun or something huge. (no offense to the people who like it)I don't really get into extreme range chipmunk. That leaves something huge. Not really interested in one of the "over-powered" cartridges in a standard action. One of the purpose built long range target guns(Sniper? Counter sniper, "tactical" whatever the marketing department is calling them these days.)seems like it would be fun as long as i don't have to lug it around on foot. The Lapau seems like it would fit the bill, and I don't know anything about it. Thought I'd see if there's anyone around here 'uses one.

If you want a good gopher gun/long range target gun, take a look at the .22-250

My brother and I have hit groundhogs @ 500yds+ with that. Savage model 12FV.

To shoot through solid steel?
Naw,... I can already shoot through about anything 'needs shot through with the -06.

Mainly looking to do some long range plinking.

JNickel101: I already have a couple .22s. They're OK, but I'm going more toward the other end of the scale.

.22s or .22-250s?

Sorry about the confusion. In this context,".22s" refers to pretty much any 22 caliber center fire cartridge.

I have a 222 rem, .223 rem(2), had a 22-250 a while back, sold it to a friend who really wanted it. They are accurate(at least the ones I've shot) but again, I'm looking at the other end of the scale.

Considering the price of the competition, Savage makes some AWESOME rifles, don't they?

Open desert target shooting in the 600+yard out to how ever far I can take it. Something to play with.

If I want to be perfectly honest about it, I'd say I just feel like buying another gun. :D
Looking over the collection, about the only thing left is a gopher gun or something huge. (no offense to the people who like it)I don't really get into extreme range chipmunk. That leaves something huge. Not really interested in one of the "over-powered" cartridges in a standard action. One of the purpose built long range target guns(Sniper? Counter sniper, "tactical" whatever the marketing department is calling them these days.)seems like it would be fun as long as i don't have to lug it around on foot. The Lapau seems like it would fit the bill, and I don't know anything about it. Thought I'd see if there's anyone around here 'uses one.

From what I've seen, it aught to do the trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LAEOJbyklI

Back