• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailready bumpers

steveVA

NAXJA Forum User
So check this out,, i placed an order for 2 bumpers , front and rear way back in may,, still have not gotten them,,, after talking to and getting the run around from them for 3 months I finally called to cancel, Brent said that was fine but that he didn't have the money to give me back right now,, what the Hell is that?? so I told him that if I didn't have them in 2 weeks i was going to cancel the order,, the thing is I rerally like the bumpers and the way they look, but this is ridiculous

actually I did pay by credit card,, the more I think about it the madddddeeerrrr i get,,, I would just cancel it,, but Im wondering if i have a better chance of getting the bumpers than the money unkow???

Actually IIRC, it is illegal to charge a credit card for a product until it ships. Your credit card company should be notified ASAP.

I was thinking of a front Trailready bumper but after reading this I think the list of choices just got one shorter.

Bones :skull1:

Howdy,

I've got front and rear w/tire carrier bumpers from Trail Ready, and just talked to the owner, Larry, about some issues with them.
Here's what he told me. The original designer of the xj bumpers fell 'short of the mark,' at least on the rear design. So they've been out of production for a few months as their new improvements come together, and are produced ( in Oregon I think he said.)

I called to order a rear license relocation bracket w/light, and he only had a couple left. The front bumper is very nice, but could use that 4th bolt hole down the frame rail, so their new one's will have an extended tab to tie in there, he says. I did essentially the same thing by keeping my front tow hook mounting brackets that use that 4th hole, and sandwiching the bumper mount brackets inbetween it and the outsides of the frame rail.

On the rear, they're redisigning the tire carrier latch and some other things I too. Though both front and rear will keep the same look, which I like.
So I would call and talk to Larry. Apparently Chris had been the 'xj guy' down there, but is no longer with the company.

I bought mine from a fella in Oregon who'd never installed them. He had bought them about a year ago, and sat on them. The front has the brush guard and fog light holes, and the rear has the tire carrier mount, but not the side railing on the 'pods.'

I really like them, but be sure to custom order the right bumpers to fit your specific lift/tire size!!!
They're made to fit a stock vehicle, so the parts of the bumper that wrap around to the wheel wells (front and rear) extend all the way to meet the stock flairs, just the area you need to cut to fit larger tires. Their website shows an xj w/35s and a 5.5 RE lift, but note the bumpers were custom cut to clear these tires.

BE SURE TO ORDER YOURS TO FIT!!!
W/4.5" lift and 31s (worn to 29" actually) the front tires would hit the side portions of the bumper at almost full stuff, let alone my newly installed 34x9.5s.
So I've cut my rear bumper sides to fit, and will have to get it rewelded, and now have to do the same to the front, before I can wheel it at all.

Hope this helps some.
CB

Steve, I would give them an ultimatum. Tell them you want the bumpers, or your money in no less that two weeks. If you don't see either, tell them it will be simple, just a letter from your Lawyer and a court date.

im not sure

I guess I can call Discover and try to get the money back,, I would rather not get my lawyer to send a letter or go to court , thats like throwing good money after bad, so Ill call TR today and tell them that I want the bumpers in two weeks or Im calling the CC company,, Im sure they don't want to piss off Discover,, also it worries me that he said they had to lay off some people, because they weren't selling any bumpers, I don't know if they really did or whether he was just blowing smoke up my butt, in either case Ill call them today,, thanks

If you call your credit card company and dispute the charges (on the basis of there was no product exchange) they will cancell the tranaction and go after trail ready.
Call trail ready and tell them you are going to do this. They will eaither put your name at the top of the list or you cancel the transaction and trail ready is forced to get there shit straight because of credit card investigations and posible investigations by the authotitys for anything they can find illegal.
Remember the reason we use credit cards isnt always for the convienience but also for the security.

I have their front bumper, I think it's a POS and weak, I've bent mine in so many places it's not funny.

I totally agree that order it for lift, I had to have mine cut down to fit my tires.

I will never buy another Trail Ready, for sure they look good, they just don't hold up.

they just don't hold up.
The ARB bumpers are a big ditto....they fold up like wet tissue paper....I still believe that protofab gives you best bang for the buck...but I have not tried their new style...the older style I used to use to push into rocks as a tool to ramp over things....can't do that with too many others

talked to larry at TR he said he is going to credit my account,, so know what?? I need at least a front bumper,, I really liked thiers,, maybe ARB?, BPI?

Definitely BPI Fab. By far the best bumper for the money

PROTOFAB has a new bumper totally trick...very stout and wont hang you up on the trail like the BPI box.
xjfrntpwb01.jpg
xjfrntpwb02.jpg

and only 355.00 right now!

If it is built as good as their other bumpers it is a killer deal!protofab

In that first photo, the driverside end of the bumper looks different from the passenger side. Looks like one side is twieked or something.

Edit: I guess it could be the angle of the pic. Not a bad looking bumper.

Last edited:
Back