• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gonna need help installing bumpers

rpraterxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang,

I have confirmation that my front (Rigidco) and my rear (Detours) bumpers have shipped. I should receive the front bumper on Monday or Tuesday. The rear should be here on Friday.

I would like to get the front installed one evening this week and the rear on Saturday or one evening next week.

Anybody available on Wed. or Thurs. night this week? Anyone with experience with the Rigid fornt bumper, non-winch model? How long should it take to install? I will be painting them as soon as they come in.

I am in Costa Mesa and we can use my garage. I believe I have most of the tools that will be needed. I get home from work around 5:30.

Please let me know if your available.

Thanks,

Robert

cbremer said:
trickiest part would be when you have to unbolt the steering box to install the driver's side bracket. an extra set of hands is useful to get things back into place.

Thanks! Any special tools needed for steering box bolt?

xjohnnyc said:
I can help out on Saturday...

Hey Johnny,

Thanks. I will set-up a time a little later in the week. Like I said, I hope to get the front installed through the week. If not, then I will have to decide on which to install first, on Saturday. I don't think I will be able to install both in one day. I have the weekend chores to get done as well.

Thanks,

Robert

We could do both at the same time. The rear one shouldn't take much time at all. We just installed my C4X4 rear bumper and tire carrier in about 15 minutes.

The front one will take longer. It will especially be easy if you can recruit a couple more helpers so we can put both on simultaneously.

xjohnnyc said:
We could do both at the same time. The rear one shouldn't take much time at all. We just installed my C4X4 rear bumper and tire carrier in about 15 minutes.

The front one will take longer. It will especially be easy if you can recruit a couple more helpers so we can put both on simultaneously.

That sounds like a good idea. I would like to try to install the front this week, but if not, I am sure we can do them both in a few hours on Saturday.

What time could you or anyone else start on Saturday? Maybe 8:30 ish? I will have doughnust and coffee...

Thanks,

Robert

Any time you say. 8:30 would be okay.

:repair: I received my front bumper today. It will be painted today and ready for installation.

If you are interested/able to help, I will be installing both bumpers THIS Saturday at my home in Costa Mesa. I want to get started around 9:00 AM. PM me for address/directions.

I will need some help straightening my right rear quarter panel. I bent it at Calico a couple of weeks ago. It needs to be staright enough to mount the Detours rear bumper.

Thanks,

Robert

Okay, here's the deal. I did not receive the rear bumper so we will only be installing the front tomorrow. I plan on starting at 10:00 AM. My address is 318 Sydney Lane, Costa Mesa, 92627, cell: 714-319-7135.

Thanks,

Robert

rpraterxj said:
Okay, here's the deal. I did not receive the rear bumper so we will only be installing the front tomorrow. I plan on starting at 10:00 AM. My address is 318 Sydney Lane, Costa Mesa, 92627, cell: 714-319-7135.

Thanks,

Robert

I might swing by at about noon or so :D

Kejtar said:
I might swing by at about noon or so :D

That would be cool! By the way, I still owe you $15.... :laugh3:

Hope to see you tomorrow..

RP

cbremer said:
the front rigidco shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to install (after painting). trickiest part would be when you have to unbolt the steering box to install the driver's side bracket. an extra set of hands is useful to get things back into place.

Do you know if the Rigidco bumper will work with a front drawtite hitch? I'd like to keep the hitch on the front, but replace the stock bumper......

Kejtar said:
That bumper has a class 3 hitch built in.

Yeah, I know. My concern is that I have the XJ all set up to tow from the front hitch. I mounted the tow brackets to it.
I also like the protection it gives to the steering components, as well as the frame stiffening.

I've just grown fond of it. I love beating it into rocks.....

saki669 said:
Do you know if the Rigidco bumper will work with a front drawtite hitch? I'd like to keep the hitch on the front, but replace the stock bumper......

If it doesnt fit, we can make it fit. ;)

saki669 said:
Yeah, I know. My concern is that I have the XJ all set up to tow from the front hitch. I mounted the tow brackets to it.
I also like the protection it gives to the steering components, as well as the frame stiffening.

I've just grown fond of it. I love beating it into rocks.....

The front bumper has two shackle mount points which can be used with a towbar.
You're mentioning that it protects your steering componets: does the hitch that you have hang THAT LOW? You're better of with a front skid then a front tow hitch when it comes to steering component protection. I think that the skid gives you a better approach angle then the hitch.

Back