• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bumper stuff

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
With an OEM 96 XJ I'm about to replace a bumper corner and recondition both front and back bumpers.

Is it possible to look up what color factory paint was originally used on my bumpers on my 96 XJ, and order it from somewhere? Like is that kind of information kept on file? If not I'm thinking I should paint them just a flat matte black.

For my bumper guards, instead of spending the 60 bucks for new ones I'm gonna be cheap and just repaint. I'd like to give them a little different color from the bumper, so I'm thinking they should be black as well but perhaps with a little gloss added. Does that sound about right, or am I being just a little too gay?

Thanks yall.

Last edited:
Sherwin has a paint code lookup by vehicle and part. Any local paint shop can mix it for you. I think the paint code is also listed on the firewall under the hood and on the drivers door, but I’ve never actually looked at mine to verify.

http://sw.formulaexpress.com/Search/VehicleSearchPage.aspx

I like black end caps, not the mono-color look. Some guys like it all one color, matter of opinion. Nobody is going to point and laugh because you customized your XJ (unless you put 20 inch spinners on the wheels). Flat, matte, satin or gloss. Your call.

To me flat black looks really cool--for about a month.

Getting ready to re-do my bumpers, thinking of a crinkle-finish matte/semi-gloss black.

Good luck.

I like the "hammertone" gray look.....plus a lot of lift stuff seems to be the same color.

You're the green XJ with the 31's and black flares, right?

No, I wish I was the green XJ with the 31's and black flares. I prob should have mentioned before I'm factory red with all black bumpers. Def wanting to restore that way too.

My actual bumpers have always been some kind of black, but I think they've faded a lot. Can't quite tell if they were originally flat or what. Either way I'm going with a flat on those.

For the corners, I've been told to look at Krylon Fusion for plastics. They've got a satin black. I've never really understood, is satin somewhere between semi-gloss and flat, or is satin and semi-gloss the same thing?

Ok. Looks like I'm going with the Krylon Fusion on the corners.

My bumpers are black as well, and I'm gonna be sanding and properly prepping them for paint as well. Any suggestion for a paint line for the bumper itself?

I painted all of my bumper corners and my stock fender flares and the stripping down the doors all with Krylon Fusion satin black spray paint. They looked great for almost 3 years and I'm getting ready to do again. Just clean really good and let dry completely then spray.

Back