• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Clips on the Fuel Rail!!!

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
I was changing injectors on my 88 4.0 Renix yesterday and broke the plastic winged quick clips. one clips in at the back of the pressure regulator(and has a small "bushing" in front of it... the other is on the back end of the fuel rail)
looked around town (Napa, Auto Zone, Car Quest) no one has a clip with the same lenght neck... talked to the dealer and they want to sell me part # 83502745 - repair package... $23 each... it appears to be the whole assembly...

1. Is the Dealer my only option?
2. Or can I pull these off of another vehicle at the pick and pull?

any help would be great because this is my DD

You need the whole repair kit (one for each connection), and these must be renewed when you take them apart - that is the way they are designed (not to be reusable) and if you try to make a used one work it will likely leak fuel onto your exhaust manifold, which will likely incinerate your XJ. I have always got mine from the dealer, so I'm not sure if anyone else sources them.

Some people have just eliminated the quick connect and gone with fuel hose and clamps. I've not tried this, but it seems like it should work fine.

I just did this on my ZJ's fuel tank.
Head over to the local parts store in the "help" section and pick up a box of the internal retainer pieces. (White nylon) I was not able to use the original hose, so I picked up a few feet of fuel injection hose and hose clamps to work with the connectors.

Hope this helps.

John

I've seen the parts in the "help" section at my local auto store as well.

I've re-used the quick disconnects, I put some engine oil on the shaft and tube, to lube the "O" rings. Thats usually the cause of a leak, the "O" ring gets dragged by friction and either stretched, moved out of place or scratched/cut during re-assembly; the oil lets it slide back in place without friction. The gasoline in the line will quickly remove the excess once you pump fuel thru it. I haven't had a problem, but I do check for fuel leaks, because its possible.

Obviously it would be safer to use fresh parts for something critical like this. But people have re-used them and monitored them to make sure they are NOT leaking and have NOT run into trouble.

When I changed them on my 89 XJ I got the clips from the dealer, but I remember them being like $5. But these are made to be replaced every time you change the injectors.

I don't think you would be able to take them off another xj. Those would probably brake as you were taking them off.

can anyone confirm that the part number the dealer is selling me is the correct thing... Ive decided to go the proper route and use new parts... but at a combined price of $50 I want to make sure I have the correct thing...
unless some one has a viable way to bypass the factory clips in a safe manner

$50 ouch!! I have can get the part number this evening, I think I still have it. Just replace mine a month or so ago. Think I paid less then $10 each. Should just be the quick connect which is a plasitic clip and a o ring. Let me look if they want $50 there I can get them and 24 hour them to you.

I guess 40 bucks... just got off the phone with them... was told I couldnt just get the wing and o ring end... had to purchase two complete male and female units...

I will look tonight. I tried to call the dealer but the guy I deal with normally is not there and they are giving me the same part number they gave you with a $29 price... I am am most positive I did not pay $60 for my repair when I did my o-rings on my injectors...

I just found a replacement part made by Standard Motor Products Inc. part # HK7 ... this is a replicate replacement part... put cant find anybody that sells them, Yet...

I found the HK7 part at carquest... but it was a ship from manufacturor for me and I couldnt wait to receive it. I found that the cheapest option was to them through a dealer online... that way you can search for the lowest possible price

Back