• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'90 XJ Laredo - Dash Light Inquiry

Green Machine

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Everyone - I have a simple question here and was hoping someone could give me an answer.

I've been having the common problem of my dash lights not coming on in my 90 XJ Cherokee 4.0L. I removed the instrument panel and when i checked the bulbs there were quite a few burnt out, and actually there were 2 plug in sockets missing.

My question to you all is simply this...would these missing plug in sockets stop the dash from NOT lighting up for any reason? Would it not allow the circuit to be completed or something?

I'm currently in the middle of cleaning and actually lightly sanding all of the contacts before re installation. I'm basically following the same procedure as I did when cleaning my NSS. Hoping that this works.

Thanks

Hello Everyone - I have a simple question here and was hoping someone could give me an answer.

I've been having the common problem of my dash lights not coming on in my 90 XJ Cherokee 4.0L. I removed the instrument panel and when i checked the bulbs there were quite a few burnt out, and actually there were 2 plug in sockets missing.

My question to you all is simply this...would these missing plug in sockets stop the dash from NOT lighting up for any reason? Would it not allow the circuit to be completed or something?

I'm currently in the middle of cleaning and actually lightly sanding all of the contacts before re installation. I'm basically following the same procedure as I did when cleaning my NSS. Hoping that this works.

Thanks

The circuits all run separate if I remember correctly from when I replaced my dash lights. One going out should not cause them all to fail.
My 90 had some burnt and some fine as well. I replaced all of them with LED red lights (positive negative contacts are pole specific.)and am pleased. I did not replace the blinker lights or brights indicator as they needed a white light to keep the turn lights and brights the correct color.

I assume you mean the illumination lights. The turn signal, high beam, low washer, etc., lights are on independent circuits as 90XJ_Seth said although many share a common ground.

It's been a while since I had the cluster off my '88 but I recall of few empty spots as well. Since mine is 2wd, it would not need a 4WD light.

Do your other dash lights work? What about the heater controls, glove box, clock?

Lastly, please make sure you've turn the light switch control all the way clockwise. Wouldn't be the first time the lights didn't come on due to being dimmed. (Please don't ask how I know!) ;)

Thank you all for the information.

I've twice removed the drivers seat and laid on my back under the drivers side dash. I do not have that ground where cruisers picture denotes it. I'm attempting to find where it may be now.

The peculiar thing about all of this is that my clock, heater, and headlamps work just fine. Its all just a bit peculiar.

Right now im actually lightly sanding all the contacts for the panel and installing brand new bulbs across the thing. When i go to reinstall it, i will report back.

Ohhh and I have ensured that the headlamp switch was turned fully on before I began this project. I wanted to make sure they weren't just dimmed all the way down. I wish that was the problem!!!

----UPDATE----

I've reinstalled my instrument panel, and I have managed to regain lights on the small left side warning lights, but unfortunately nothing on the main dash panel.

When i removed the panel I replaced all bulbs, lightly sanded each and every contact point on sockets and on the circuits. Still got nada. I went ahead and thought I would also relocate the instrument panel ground that Cruiser mentioned. I tested the resistance and it did come in lower than previous spot, so thank you cruiser. Unfortunately my issue isn't the ground it appears.

Could it be that printed circuit board on the back of the panel has gone bad?

Any further suggestions for me here?

Also dome lights, clock, interior lights, and the 2 lights below the dash all work properly. Weird right?

Did you check the 2 harness connectors as well as their contact points on that contact film on the cluster?

Do any of the dash illumination lights work or are they all out? The heater control panel also backlights. Do they work?

I cleaned and lightly sanded both connectors at the back of the panel.

I do not have any working lights on the gauge portion of the instrument panel and do not have heater control lights either. My clock works.

Does this narrow down a problem area?

Back