• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 starter stays engaged

Rick.rob

NAXJA Forum User
I tried searching and found one post with no answers. Issue is as soon as I hook up my battery, doesn't matter if keys are in ignition or in my pocket the starter engages and starts spinning and don't stop untill I either disconnect the battery or pull the starter fuse. Only recent work done to Jeep was I changed the heater core.

Did you disconnect the main firewall thru wire plug for the heater core repair ? Get it back together and snugged properly ?

Checked/tested for a faulty starter motor relay ?

Last edited:
Didn't disconnect main harness, had enough room to swing the dash in to the pass. side seat. It's just confusing me because I can turn jeep off and put the 20amp fuse in the pdc for the starter and it engages untill I pull the fuse out again. Doesn't matter if the key is in ignition or what what spot it's in.

Remove the starter solenoid wire at the starter and then use a test light to see if there's power on it when you install the fuse. If yes that would be a bad relay most likely. If not the starter is failed.

Or like Tim said,swap the relay with another and see what happens.

Swapped relay with the fuel pump relay. Same problem. Started checking and have a constant 6v on the yellow wire off the ignition harness at all times. Im gonna start chasing wires and see if I have one pinched.

Maybe some one could explain it to me on how it could be the starter. Im confused on it could be that since it has a direct connection to the battery and it don't do anything untill I install the fuse.

Swapped relay with the fuel pump relay. Same problem.

So it is not a sticky relay, we are making some forward progress with basic diagnostics. Do the relay connection for that relay have, or perhaps not have, voltage and continuity to ground on the correct terminals ?

Where do you have 6 volts ? Is that wire supposed to have any voltage ? If so, does it have the proper voltage ? If not, trace back, where is the voltage coming from ?

If you suspect the starter is internally shorted, have it tested.

So it is not a sticky relay, we are making some forward progress with basic diagnostics. Do the relay connection for that relay have, or perhaps not have, voltage and continuity to ground on the correct terminals ?

Where do you have 6 volts ? Is that wire supposed to have any voltage ? If so, does it have the proper voltage ? If not, trace back, where is the voltage coming from ?

If you suspect the starter is internally shorted, have it tested.

I have 6v on the yellow wire off the ignition switch. I haven't been able to find anything online whether it should be hot all the time. These are the diagrams that I have available to me. Fuse 10 in the fourth pic is the one I am pulling out.
5e716822529d38c346f9559474b46e16.jpg
1454406d69a1811e7b63de2f5a6c41b7.jpg
12324ba616fa04cc0c1e8a0eaa0f93a7.jpg
1dc086cf49cd0facad93ff038835c70a.jpg
a71f979197fe35e78a3a09ca999d4daa.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Back