• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bought a 5.3 and 4L60e, Now what?

R.DesJardin

NAXJA Forum User
Well I picked a great deal on a 5.3-4L60E with all the wiring out of a 2001 Tahoe. Also the C&C 14 bolt showed up and a LS1 intake. Ordered a set of Novak motor mounts so at least I'll have a good place to store the 5.3 out of the way. As if I needed another project. They are destined for the 4wd conversion of my 2Dr-2WD XJ. Time to start filling the shelves with build parts.

IMGP0038.jpg
IMGP0082.jpg

IMGP0086.jpg

Nice!

While I love our beloved tractor motors, a V8 has been looming in the back of my mind for a long time. It's just a matter of what, when, and how. Who cares about the "why" part. :D

I'll have to pick your brain at NWF.

My future plans is either stroker or a 5.9 from a dodge or zj.

Looks like you joined the two person club of having a v8 lol you and Scott

Yeah, I 14 bolt is huge but the next step down in a D44 and 60's are way over priced. When the body falls apart I'll have everything I need for a buggy. I do love the 4.0's but since this XJ is a 2.5 and a 2wd at that I figured if I was going to do a motor swap why not stick with the heritage of Jeep motor swaps the GM V8..............

Yeah, I 14 bolt is huge but the next step down in a D44 and 60's are way over priced. When the body falls apart I'll have everything I need for a buggy. I do love the 4.0's but since this XJ is a 2.5 and a 2wd at that I figured if I was going to do a motor swap why not stick with the heritage of Jeep motor swaps the GM V8..............

Indeed!
At this point in time, it just makes sense. I cannot wait to do an LSx swap in my heeps. And one ton axles are great, and less likely to break when one doesn't go "full retard".

the 4.0 is a great motor, but even the small difference of a 5.2 magnum really does make a difference..

with as many swaps that have already been done, I think 5.3/6.0 are No brainers..

the 4.0 is a great motor, but even the small difference of a 5.2 magnum really does make a difference..

with as many swaps that have already been done, I think 5.3/6.0 are No brainers..

You saying I got no brain. Who told????? :roflmao:
The Novak mounts showed up last night. I need to decide D300 or NP241? D300 needs an input gear, the NP241 needs a SYE. Decisions, decisions. Disc brake conversion and HD diff cover for the 14B, probably buy the parts from RuffStuff since I'm a dealer. Just planning on a mild shave and some good amour. All this and trying to finish up the basics on the '88 Get Bent project. I need more time and money. "Sell a shifter buy a part" is the motto for the summer.

The short atlas adapter. And the case is modified for rear shift rails for cable shifters.
May take a nice aw4 shifter as part trade. Is your trans a 4 bolt output or 6?

Last edited:
The short atlas adapter. And the case is modified for rear shift rails for cable shifters.
May take a nice aw4 shifter as part trade. Is your trans a 4 bolt output or 6?

6 bolt so all I really need is an input gear, but I'm open to trade and barter.
I need to do a Durango box, light switch and rear main on the '88, get our street bikes out of their 3+yr mothball and then I can pull the 2wd into the shop and start tinkering.

Back