• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Jep: Overbuilt Overland XJ Stage 1 Build Thread

Ilikeparts

NAXJA Forum User
ok so just thought i would stick these photos up

the goal is to build a DD rig that can tear up moderate trails no problem, i used to have a POS rock crawler & tow rig, now i just have the XJ so i figure better build this one right..

I wanted to maintain low COG, built to be capable without looking totally ridiculous as we will be taking the rig south of the border eventually.

i got this sucker bone stock with 110k grandma miles on it, so stage 1 will be axles/suspension/steering

it's 93 4.0 AW4 Country 2dr
Jep02.jpg

new wheels, old jeep

Jep01.jpg

Ford 8.8 31 spline disc 4.10 posi from '99 exploder 2wd 'texas deluxe' (eddie bauer) gutted and ready for rebuild

Jep23.jpg

8.8 all rebuilt, all new bearings & seals and brakes, Superior 'Super 88' kit installed (4340 chromoly axles, c-clip eliminators w/ built-in spacing for jeep swap, 3/4 ton wheel bearing upgrade)

Jep20.jpg

now the front end comes out

Jep08.jpg

Dana 30HP non-disco front gutted ready for rebuild. Remember the inner axle seals dont come in the master kit!! i was tearing parts out so fast I wrecked one of the inner axle seals only to find out it wasn't in the kit. go to o'reilly's and have them order some. rinse. repeat.

Jep11.jpg

D30 HP with new Truetrac posi & 4.10 gears installed

Jep07.jpg

ring & pinion set-up day

Jep09.jpg

pattern came out really nice. that is after almost ruining the pinion shaft when the old nut galled on the threads while removing it for the fifteenth time. that was my fault really tho because 7 of those times I was forgetting to add the pinion washer. I forgot it because i was looking at the nut that came in the new kit which was a flange nut so no washer was included. Don't do that. (gears from superior as well)

Jep15.jpg

installing these was the hardest part of the entire build. i hate ball joints.

Jep30.jpg

i hate ball joints

Jep17.jpg

Dana 30 HP front shown all assembled ready for install, Superior Evolution Series 4340 axles w/ forged spicer joints, ZJ V8 tie rod, Skyjacker stabilizer brakes, ball joints and energy poly boots for the steering

Jep12.jpg

Old Man Emu OME931 ZJ v6 coils (~2" lift). super premium high-end pinion yoke holder setup also pictured.

Jep28.jpg

front end all put back together

Jep21.jpg

added the new reack, out comes the rear

Jep22.jpg

Old Man Emu CS034RB leafs good for about 2.5" of lift, skyjacker nitro shocks

Jep25.jpg

8.8 all assembled and ready for install. I went with the Ruff Stuff Specialties 8.8 31 spline simple swap kit. The quality of parts was very good but it did take some modd'ing. I had to drill out the holes in the spring plate to a larger size, grind the nubs off the spring perches, and apparently the kit comes with the wrong shock mounts for xj. Talked to dan about this he was super cool, apologized and told me he would send me a set of the proper mounts (side mount shock mounts) and update his system to give xj owners the option of purchasing the kit with the proper mounts. At this point in the build i was totally out of time. So I took a shot a fabbing a set, but I was have problems with the rear-mounted (driver side) shock body contacting the axle tube body which wasn't helped by the fact that I used the Ruff Stuff adjustable perches to stretch the WB by 1". so, we decided to go ahead and cut the shock mounts off the old d35 and stick those on. once torched out and ground down they fit the larger 3.25" tube quite nicely, they are real strong but clearance is not ideal. however, the lower mounting position gives perfect stroke on the 2" skyjacker nitro shocks I have where the ruff stuff relocate the mount 2" upwards so you I would need a stock length shock instead of the 2" shocks I have.

Jep27.jpg

all coming together now

Jep26.jpg

so here it is on a old pair of 31's I had. Threw it on these so I wouldn't have to trim right away to fit the 33's i have from the first pic.

took it for a test drive, 4.10's give it a nice crawl reduction with the 31" tires, new poly bushings in the leafs and shackles were a little squeaky but overall felt great. went out to an empty lot to test 4-range and start breaking in my new front gears, BANG POP son of a b!tch....

apparently grandma was kind enough to let the xfer case drip dry who KNOWS how many years ago...

jep31.jpg

all the gears still look good, bearings are wasted

jep33.jpg

filter screen, wasted...

So that's where I'm at now, advance adapters shipped my SYE kit today, Tom Woods shipped my CV driveshaft (4.5" stroke 1310 2" 120dom tube with cast steel yokes), and Transtar shipped my xfer case rebuild kit, new chain, pump & pickup screen. to be continued

Last edited:
lookking good so far, some good upgrades too.

damn, I guess that kind of stuff happens to the best of us. But that build is great, do it right the first time! Just one question, why go with OME springs if your just running some cheapo skyjacker shocks?

gonna replace them when you have the cash or what? Ive actually had zero experience with them myself, Ive just heard there a POS.

gotta go check my T-case.........

You obviously know what you're doing seeing that you're doing gears and what not. That being said, WTF were you thinking lifting the front end using a hi-lift on a stock bumper? Big no-no. I've got some jackstands you can borrow if you need. Where in Austin are you anyways?

You obviously know what you're doing seeing that you're doing gears and what not. That being said, WTF were you thinking lifting the front end using a hi-lift on a stock bumper? Big no-no. I've got some jackstands you can borrow if you need. Where in Austin are you anyways?

Yeah a guy died from that not too terribly long ago.

Ok, I see it now. Comment retracted I suppose...though I still wouldn't even use that method to get the jackstands under there.

lmao

that is funny i would i never get under the truck supported on just the lift like that

but, you can jack off the bumper like that no problem if you know what you are doing... with the wheels still on just make sure you are on a flat surface, square it up left to right and toe the jack in to compensate for the vehicle hinging back

square the jack really nice, jack the body up until the tires just barely leave the ground, then set the jackstands, then drop the body onto the stands (tires now fully on ground again) then set a bottle jack under the axle to get the wheels off, then let it down to full droop.

i am in n. central austin

and I decided to save a buck on shocks because I'd much rather spend $$ on springs which a) last longer b) make your rig more capable vs. paying $80/shock for a) nicer ride? i dunno..

the OME shocks are nitro shocks same construction as skyjacker, given valve rate would probably be more appropriate for a stock xj with ome parts..

Last edited:
hmm .. so i'm trying to figure out how to remove the np231 front output shaft rear bearing. it is a torrington-style (needle) bearing that sits in a sealed recess in the back half of the case. there is maybe .125 gap between the back of the bearing and the case. FSM has an illustration of a puller, but i've never seen one that would be able to fit into such a tiny gap. my only bright idea i have right now is pry the needles out and then collapse the race with a punch... has anyone done one of these ?

100_0325.jpg

its the one in the upper part of this pic

Nice build. I don't see why you cheaped out on the shocks if it's a DD. Spend the extra and get good quality smoother shocks if you're getting good and new everything else. Have fun wheelin and driving that. You're geared very well for the tire size.

well, if the ride sucks i'll know which new parts to pull out first.

looks like i'm going to run the back half of the case down to a buddy's machine shop and see if he has / can make some type of small 1-jaw puller with a slide hammer attachment / will just handle it

I'm scared to damage the bore in the aluminum case trying to collapse the race with a punch, it's a pretty sturdy bearing as torrington-style needle bearings go...

Awesome build...something like what I want to do in the next few years (AKA the aftermath of college). Looks like it's gonna be one hell of a sturdy daily driver!

Looks like an awesome build. I love the Jeep. Mine is the same color scheme and a 2 door except it's a 94. Good luck with it.

Last edited:
Back