NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 13th, 2018, 15:03
NAXJA Forum User

Power Steering Upgrade Ideas

93 4.0 97+ intake AX15 NP231 no lift 33x12.5R15

It is now time for a new PS pump and as all ways it is time to upgrade. I have seen the options for a PSC and a WJ pump. I am also looking to put the 98-99 Durango gear box in at the same time as well as a PS cooler and replacing all the lines.

So my question is which pump to go for?
Old June 13th, 2018, 16:00
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Power Steering Upgrade Ideas

I grabbed an 04 HO V8 pump since those part numbers say they have higher output from the I6, plus I have an 04 WJ if it didn't workout. Check out this articles, tons of info in them

http://www.offroadsc.com/showthread....ring-Pump-Tech

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1103429
Old June 13th, 2018, 23:05
NAXJA Forum User

I have now read both post. The first one is a great write up on explaining the different pumps which is awesome info. I had read the second post before but it seemed to be 50/50 on which to go for. They sound like on one hand (PSC), ita closest in function and sound to stock but more powerful. And on the other hand (WJ) you hand a lot more work, more powerful than the PSC, and the chance of it being whiney.

Correct me if I'm not getting it right.
Old June 14th, 2018, 05:10
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenbot View Post
And on the other hand (WJ) you hand a lot more work, more powerful than the PSC, and the chance of it being whiney.

I now have a V8 WJ pump in both my 88 MJ and my 01 XJ Limited. The 88 was a little bit of work because the mounting changed from the Renix to the HO. I also had to replace the high pressure line on the MJ to get around the reservoir. 97+ High pressure lines are readily available.

The swap in my 2001 was a direct bolt and was no different than replacing the pump with another 4.0L pump.

As for WJ pumps whining, I spent the little extra money on new pumps (MJ from AutoZone & XJ from Rock Auto) and have had zero whining since bleeding all of the air out of the system.
88 MJ-Short Arm w/ drops/PAC springs/Treps
01 XJ-Short Arms (long arm & 4.56s coming soon)
Old June 14th, 2018, 07:38
NAXJA Forum User

Vast majority of whining comes from trapped air in the system. It took me a little bit to work it all out but it works great now.

Add the pump with the larger steering gear box and it is worlds of a difference. I have a 99 Durango box that I tapped for hydro (not yet hook up) and it's night and day better.
Old June 14th, 2018, 09:50
XJholic

Durango box and WJ pump. Use the XJ fitting on the WJ pump. Bolt up and go. HUGE improvement for me when I did mine.
Old June 14th, 2018, 11:32
NAXJA Forum User

Do yall recommend boring out the high pressure XJ fitting to match the WJ fitting? Obviously the return line will need to be larger with a bored out fitting.
Old June 14th, 2018, 12:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORC811 View Post
I now have a V8 WJ pump in both my 88 MJ and my 01 XJ Limited. The 88 was a little bit of work because the mounting changed from the Renix to the HO. I also had to replace the high pressure line on the MJ to get around the reservoir. 97+ High pressure lines are readily available.

The swap in my 2001 was a direct bolt and was no different than replacing the pump with another 4.0L pump.

As for WJ pumps whining, I spent the little extra money on new pumps (MJ from AutoZone & XJ from Rock Auto) and have had zero whining since bleeding all of the air out of the system.
Which brand would you recommend.
W/ Reservoir
BBB/Vision-Oe
Ultra Power
Cardone

W/O reservoir
Omix-Ada
Old June 14th, 2018, 12:15
NAXJA Forum User

3/16 - 5/32 seems to be the magic size. No bigger than 5/32. To big and the fluid will cavitate because it's moving fluid so fast at low RPMs that it has no resistance at higher RPMs and it's churning air.
Old June 14th, 2018, 12:45
NAXJA Forum User

Also, which pulley to use? The WJ or XJ
Old June 14th, 2018, 13:51
XJholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenbot View Post
Do yall recommend boring out the high pressure XJ fitting to match the WJ fitting? Obviously the return line will need to be larger with a bored out fitting.
No, that will give you problems. Just swap the XJ fitting to the pump and you're golden.

Brand, I'd go Lares, they are at least done here and not a fortune. Get it with the reservoir as you can't swap the XJ one over. Also make sure you close off the additional fittings on the reservoir. Just need some tube and a plug.

Pulley would be the XJ.
Old June 16th, 2018, 06:16
NAXJA Forum User

I run a WJ pump with Durango box and a PSC overdrive pulley. Turning 35x12.5s no problem on the trail.
Old June 16th, 2018, 11:21
NAXJA Member

For this upgrade can you still use aftermarket coolers?
When my powersteering pump dies I wanna upgrade myself since ill be going to 35s after my 33x10.50s are done.
do you have to swap the steering box out too?
Old June 19th, 2018, 07:57
NAXJA Member

Yes you can run a cooler with any system. Just tie it into the low pressure side. And no you don’t need to replace the steering box. I’d say see how it does with the pump and replace if more power is needed.
Old June 19th, 2018, 11:27
NAXJA Member

ok, Thank ya. itll go on the list of possible upgrades when my power steering pump fails