NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old June 11th, 2018, 09:53
NAXJA Forum User

Clunk noise when accelerating.

Hello all. I have 96 Jeep XJ 4x4 with the inline 6. It is stock with a Dana 30 in the front and a Corporate 8.25 in the rear. My issue is that when I accelerate from a stop I hear a loud clunk. After that I don't hear it unless I'm at a complete stop. One I accelerate I may hear it again, but it is not as loud. I also hear it when I go from reverse to drive. I have looked around and removed the DS to inspect the u-joint. All is good. I did notice this weekend while I was replacing the rear drum brakes that as I turned the hub on the passenger side rear the was some play and a small clunk. So I checked the drivers side rear hub and spun that. There was no play and clunk. So I'm thinking it may be an issue with a spider gear in the rear diff??? I haven't checked the rear diff but was wondering if anyone else had run into this issue.
Old June 11th, 2018, 10:21
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: Clunk noise when accelerating.

Clunking rear axles are rather common, and not really a problem. As you have done already, one would inspect the u-joints, inspect the ring/pinion/spider gears, inspect the motor and transmission mounts, and inspect the suspension and shock bushings. Lubricating the rear output slip yoke will likely reduce the clunking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....

Last edited by Tim_MN; June 16th, 2018 at 07:18.
Old June 13th, 2018, 12:39
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks Tim. I'll check inside the diff. And if everything is good. I guess I can live with the clunk.
Old June 13th, 2018, 19:20
NAXJA Forum User

Tim mentioned the slip yoke. I too have a 96 that had a clunk that you could feel rather than hear. It was the slip yoke that needed lube. That's very common on these XJs. Mine also did it when accellerating after a stop.