• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knucklehead's blog

knucklehead 61

NAXJA Forum User
since all the cool guys here have blogs i wanted to throw my hat into the ring too. some of you know me, most do not, but i enjoy working on anything mechanical as well as welding, machining, & fabricating. i used to buy & sell old harleys as well as repair, restore, & modify them. still play with a few from time to time, hence the knucklehead screen name. for those who don't know (or care) knuckleheads were H-D's first production overhead valve motor & produced from 1936 until 1947. i have owned a number of them & still have 3, as well as a few 74" flatheads, a panhead, a shovelhead, & a blockhead.
as for jeeps i have been building up & beating down my green 2000 xj sport since august 2009 & bought a '92 xj on tons to really beat on.
i will try not to bore you all to tears with my pathetic writing style since i am not nearly as witty or patient as the frog blogs author, but i am sure there will be some fun stuff here to share as i always have a number of projects going on at the same time.
so, without further adieu, i bring you Knucklehead's blog. :doh:

this is my green machine, 2000 xj sport, 121k, 5.5 t&t longarms, 35" mtr's, 4.88's, dual arb's, 30 spline ten factory axles in front, hd frame rails, homebrew shackle boxes & sliders, logans bumpers, confer rack, smitty winch, jcr gas tank skid, psc gear box, lots of other small mods as well.
HH8_10_0128.jpg

HH8_10_0130.jpg

HH8_10_0138.jpg

HH8_10_0144.jpg

a face only my wife & dogs can love...
HH8_10_0099.jpg

this is big red, my new '92 beater. '79 f350 d60 spooled 5.38, 14 bolt welded rear, 39.5 iroks, beadlocks, 231 / d300 doubler, caged inside,psc hydro assist steering & brakes,warn winch, long arms, 3/16 plate 1/4 panels & front fender covers with plate flairs, & lots of other junk, blah, blah, blah. i plan to beat the snot out of this thing or sell it & buy (or build) a buggy on tons. i ordered up a ruffstuff front cover & frame rail stiffeners today. oh yeah, i broke the selector shaft out of the d-300 today as well wheeling in my yard. sucks to be me!
IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

mmmmm, beeefy!
img_16931.jpg

poser pic on my bobcat
DSCN6301_edited-1.jpg

i decided to try the hill behind my shop. it is a little too steep for big red & i promptly got it stuck after a ton of oil sloshed out of the transmission & i had to have my wife Diane strap me out. not too many people in san jose need to be recovered while wheeling in their backyards...glad no one saw me...yet here i am posting pics. wtf?!?
DSCN6297_edited-1.jpg

DSCN6296_edited-1.jpg

DSCN6299_edited-1.jpg

Diane thinks i am nuts.
I think she is right...
DSCN6298_edited-1.jpg

dude, that thing is awesome! ! ! ! are those axles full width or are they narrowed?? i dig those flares, i was looking into making some for my rig as well

they are full width, but i will probably narrow them if i replace the spools with arb's & larger spline count alloy axles.

Its a cool beater, it looks pretty nice as a matter of fact. Hows the interior? So how are you going to beat this one, I mean your green machine is pretty nice too but whats with all those pics in mini rubicon? HAHA If thats not beating it I don't know what is. Well I guess there is a difference between beating the snot out of your junk and just wheeling it hard.

big red has no carpet or headliner. still has a back seat, racing seats & 5 pt. belts, full cage. i fit, but the sides are very high on the seats so anyone with a larger frame than me will have a tough time crawling into it.
it is much easier to get into than my old race car though!
monkeycage2.jpg

scan0001.jpg

Awsome!! I dont think anyone cares about writing styles. Looks like you have a alot of experience and knowledge to offer so bring it on... I'm still trying to get away from burger welding everything i touch.. lol :helpme:

I can't wait until we go over to Tim's to work on Jason's rig. I'm gonna get my XJ up that hill to show Tim how its done.

Seeing the drag car explains Tim's point-and-shoot method of wheeling. He treats the accelerator like an on-off switch.

I can't wait until we go over to Tim's to work on Jason's rig. I'm gonna get my XJ up that hill to show Tim how its done.

Seeing the drag car explains Tim's point-and-shoot method of wheeling. He treats the accelerator like an on-off switch.

i think i need a parachute on my new heep! :laugh3:
or at least an ejector seat...:helpme:

i ordered some junk for big red this week...i took advantage of Ruffstuffs 15% off sale & got a d60 cover for the front diff (rear already has one) & a set of their 3/16" frame rail stiffeners. i plan to braid my beard before welding them on this time after bbq'ing 6" of my face fur welding stiffeners onto josh's rig. no fun having your face on fire!

i also ordered a new front selector shaft to replace the one i broke yesterday in the d-300 t-case. i need to go back to shifting school.
now i get to learn how to tear apart a d300 case. endless fun!
i need to buy a tubing bender still...

I appreciate you burning off 6" of your beard to weld on my stiffeners. I've never smelled such a bad smell in my life. Burnt dog shit smells better than when your beard lit on fire. At least my XJ is better because of it. Thanks again.

I appreciate you burning off 6" of your beard to weld on my stiffeners. I've never smelled such a bad smell in my life. Burnt dog shit smells better than when your beard lit on fire. At least my XJ is better because of it. Thanks again.

it's that type of personal sacrifice i am willing to make to help my NAXJA bros.
that's how i roll. :wave:

Back