• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will it hold?

John D

NAXJA Member # 788
I noticed my tranny fluid line going to the bottom of the radiator is leaking. So I cut the rubber piece out and replaced with a piece of 3/8 fuel line with clamp. Looking at it I see the hose is crimped meaning the is a significant amount of pressure maybe? So the question is do I need to go get a replacent line or will it work the way I repaired it? Will be driving 300 miles each way to Winterfest Saturday. So far not leaks, but thats only 50 miles.

Thanks John

willboy said:
I noticed my tranny fluid line going to the bottom of the radiator is leaking. So I cut the rubber piece out and replaced with a piece of 3/8 fuel line with clamp. Looking at it I see the hose is crimped meaning the is a significant amount of pressure maybe? So the question is do I need to go get a replacent line or will it work the way I repaired it? Will be driving 300 miles each way to Winterfest Saturday. So far not leaks, but thats only 50 miles.

Thanks John

Double clamp it it should be fine, just keep an eye on it for a while.

mark

clean the fluid off. use use 5/16 hose (its a pia but holds better) overlap the ends just a bit more than two hose clamps make sure the clamps are atleast 90* apart (the screw part) and youll be good best option is a new line but iv ran all rubber lines on a buddy pick up and they lasted till it went to the junkyard (6 month)

I'm not for sure but I know there is a difference between the hose used for tranny and fuel. I've been told that fuel line will get mushy and burst if used for tranny fluid (might be the higher temps?). Should be fine for a temp fix but I wouldn't trust it for a long term fix.
Mike B.

Back