• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High idle followed by P1294

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
For the last couple months the idle has been creeping up. The last couple days it has been 3-400rpm(<1000) higher than ever before. Today I get a P1294 code, any thoughts on where to start looking?

I would guess that you've already looked up P1294 and surmised what I'm about to write, but P1294 in combo with high idle suggests either vacuum leak, throttle plate not closing entirely, or IACV is toast. Does it idle at expected speed after cold start? Maybe that can provide some insight as to whether the IACV is toast. I do recall that there is a thread by the DSM guy noting that its important to clean carbon deposits from the throttle body to allow the throttle body to close all the way.

I just don't want to start throwing parts on it and the Mopar IAC isn't cheap. I may try to clean everything up first.

The root cause is likely a vacuum leak. Check the vacuum hoses and rubber fittings, and make sure the spare ports on the manifold are plugged. Inspect the IAC gasket, check the throttle body gasket, check the intake manifold gasket. Confirm all their bolts are torqued to spec, especially the manifold bolts. Make sure the throttle cable is not binding and that the TB butterfly is operating freely.

It turned out really simple, after removing the air box assembly I could see where the main vacuum fitting fell off. I'm resourcing a replacement because it felt a little loose going on.

Back