• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yella's 2016 Ram 2500 Outdoorsman

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Had been kicking around the idea of trading the Dually. I just don't tow like I used to and certainly not over Vail Pass and what not like I used to. Driving the unloaded truck was hideous on our concrete expansion jointed highways.....

Had TONS of equity in the dually, 120% trade in, $6800 in incentives, $1000 loyalty and this truck was an internet special. All that adds up to a new truck that I can drive daily....... and WANT to drive daily, fits in the garage at work, easy to park, cheaper tires, much improved MPG......

IMG_20151109_103125644_HDR_zpscpzh9uvu.jpg

IMG_20151109_103052979_zpspshiig8m.jpg

IMG_20151109_103434717_zpspufzkaua.jpg

It truly was the exact same tactic they used to get me to buy the dually. Came in for an oil change, hit me up about my clean, low mile truck and them needing it for their inventory..... Yadda-yadda-yadda.

Decided to explore options. Wanted to see if the 6.4 Hemi was worth a damn in a 2500 truck. They had a KILLER Power Wagon on the lot and a test drive had me drooling about the styling and off road bits...... but the 410 hp Hemi left (surprisingly) alot to be desired - found the torque curve to come on very late in acceleration, definitely a trans and axle gearing sacrifice. I nixed the deal because I didn't want to commit until I knew what towing with the Hemi was like. The sales manager said "Take it home, tow your trailer and come back so we can make a deal."

So, I did. :thumbup:

IMG_20151107_110916538_zpsungabdio.jpg

Hauling about 6500-7000 lbs with that set up. I found the 6.4 to be a dog starting off. Once at speed, wasn't bad but the nose felt light. Steering wandered and the trailer was pushing the rear side to side more than I'm used to at highway speeds. Passing was VERY disappointing. I should qualify that all this would likely seem to be much improved for someone going from a 1500 series truck with a smaller V8 and I probably should have tried it with a non-power wagon optioned truck (4:10s, taller tires, 2" lift and possibly different spring rate)...... but I guess I'm definitely Cummins spoiled. I didn't think a different gas truck would be much improved.

Took the Power Wagon back, told them no thanks, I'll keep my Dually..... then all the dealing/discounting/test driving commenced.....lol.

Lower end price than I had when I bough the Dually, same payment, shorter term, excellent trade in equity....... Just kinda had to do it.

Last edited:
Good looking truck 😎, have not driven a 6.4 yet but I would sure like to try one out for a weekend. Cummins trucks are out of my price range 😪

This is turning into a yearly thing....

LOL........ not! I had that Dually for 4 years.

I just own them long enough to get 'em broken in for the 2nd owners. Turned in the dually with 34K miles.......

Yeah we had the 6.4 at work and I know what you mean about feeling gutless. Felt it came off the line at the same speed with or without a load behind it. The in cab was much improved though and aside from the loud ass cooper tires, road reasonably well.
Nice snag!

Ass dyno is always relative - the 4.7 in the dakota feels a shit ton faster than my WJ ever did, and damn near as peppy as my nissan. Weird. Nice looking ride, Troy.

Aries Pro Series brush guard with light bar enclosure. :thumbup:

......Now I gotta find a reasonably priced 30" dual row LED bar.

IMG_20151114_125136647_HDR_zpsfpisvcmd.jpg

IMG_20151114_125123464_HDR_zpsrccdxali.jpg

Looked at those. Can't use the Cree lights, the mounting legs are too tall and the frames are too deep front to back, they'll hit the bumper.

I need the Philips style........

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Confirmed. Tows way better than the Power Wagon.

Wife's employer is finishing a merger which required her to put in 30 hrs straight to get things done for a Germany deadline the next day. She was too gassed to drive so why not take the opportunity to haul something? :D

IMG_20151120_101925581_zpst6cadiw3.jpg

No sag like the PW.

IMG_20151120_101905114_zpsh5rejpll.jpg

how does the wheel base feel towing? is it still as solid as the dually was

Nope. I miss the stability of the Dually but honestly, this truck tows very well. I was skeptical of the 4-link/coil rear being as solid as leaf springs..... but I like this set up BETTER.

Obviously turning is much tighter and I can hit the bank/fast food drive thru's without hopping curbs or mashing the front sidewalls into the curbs.

Still get some of that expansion joint hopping but not nearly as bad as with the longer wheel base and leaf packs.

The tires on it now are solid tow rated "all terrains" and inflated to 70 psi. Dropping to 60 psi would improve the ride, but likely allow a lot more sidewall flex and add a sloppy feel when towing. I may play with the air pressure to see how it actually affects towing. I'm guessing it'd be like the Power Wagon on the off-road Wrangler DuraTracs.

i've been giving real serious thought to selling my dually and just towing with the 3/4 ton i also own. maybe not

Not with a goose neck....... I'd keep the dually just for that reason.

Back