• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust manifold gasket leak?

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I've got this mild whistling noise that has been bugging the crap out of me so I got under the hood and looked around.

First I checked vacuum pressure with a gauge from Autozone at various places, and I am getting approx 14 hg inches at the reservoir on cold startup, which then builds to about 17 hg after a couple of seconds. The reservoir also whooshes if I disconnect it after the engine runs for a while, so vacuum seems to be solid. I did have a couple of weak connections (brake booster, a couple of others) but after cleaning and clamping some connections overall vacuum only improved by 1-2 hg. If I disconnected a line the engine accelerated (MAP sensor) and ran like crap so the whistling noise isn't coming from vacuum.

I did a seafoam treatment and watched for smoke, and got a LOT of it from around the intake manifold, but I could not see where it was coming from. I don't think the intake is leaking or else I would see vacuum problems.

My guess is that the exhaust manifold gasket or the manifold itself has gone bad, and that the leak is the source of my whistling. The car also kind of sounds like it has a bad muffler--it's got that ricer farty sound, but not a rumble like you would expect from a big hole in the exhaust.

The other possibility, I suppose, is that the head gasket is leaking, although I do not have enough of the classic symptoms to indicate that (coolant and oil levels stay pretty consistent, no overheating, etc).

This is a '91 with 336k miles on the engine BTW

Thanks

ehall said:
I've got this mild whistling noise that has been bugging the crap out of me so I got under the hood and looked around.

First I checked vacuum pressure with a gauge from Autozone at various places, and I am getting approx 14 hg inches at the reservoir on cold startup, which then builds to about 17 hg after a couple of seconds. The reservoir also whooshes if I disconnect it after the engine runs for a while, so vacuum seems to be solid. I did have a couple of weak connections (brake booster, a couple of others) but after cleaning and clamping some connections overall vacuum only improved by 1-2 hg. If I disconnected a line the engine accelerated (MAP sensor) and ran like crap so the whistling noise isn't coming from vacuum.

I did a seafoam treatment and watched for smoke, and got a LOT of it from around the intake manifold, but I could not see where it was coming from. I don't think the intake is leaking or else I would see vacuum problems.

My guess is that the exhaust manifold gasket or the manifold itself has gone bad, and that the leak is the source of my whistling. The car also kind of sounds like it has a bad muffler--it's got that ricer farty sound, but not a rumble like you would expect from a big hole in the exhaust.

The other possibility, I suppose, is that the head gasket is leaking, although I do not have enough of the classic symptoms to indicate that (coolant and oil levels stay pretty consistent, no overheating, etc).

This is a '91 with 336k miles on the engine BTW

Thanks

Stupid idea - check torque on the rearward manifold screws. If they're loose, and you've been whistling for a while, you've probably burned the gasket through back there as well. I usually check torque on those screws as part of an annual inspection - and they're the first place I go when I suspect a manifold leak. Also check the stud nuts at the collector - they sometimes work loose as well (if they're loose, get a new "donut packing" for there as well. That should only cost a few bucks, and is easier to replace than the manifold gasket.)

cbarto said:
I have an intermittent whistle that came from back there also. 5-90 or other do you know the torque for those bolts?

I'm wanting to think either 19 pound-feet or 21 pound-feet - if you check the Tech Archives for my site, you'll find FSM values there. They didn't seem to change much over the years - but I'm waiting until I get more FSMs before I do consolidated "unit" pages (4.0/2.46/D30/D35/8.25"/&c.)

I don't understand you see smoke around the intake manifold, but don't suspect a leak there and you think the exhaust gasket is leaking............it is the same gasket.

Jess said:
I don't understand you see smoke around the intake manifold, but don't suspect a leak there and you think the exhaust gasket is leaking............it is the same gasket.

Yes, it is. The AMC six is a "side-draft" engine, not a "cross-draft." Both manifolds are on the same side of the head, and share a common gasket.

If you're getting smoke, you're getting stuff blown/burned out, so it shouldn't be coming out of the intake proper. Either you've burned through on an exhaust port, you've got a header crack, you've holed the downpipe, or something is loose (in no particular order.) Start checking...

Nah the bolts are corroded and will snap if I look at them funny, I'm leaving it alone. There are a couple of low mileage engines at a local wrecker, I'll put new headers on one of those while it's on a stand and swap all that in.

Back