• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comp Cams 68-232-4

RCman

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be rebuilding my engine ('97 4.0L HO) and I was looking into getting a performance cam. I'm looking at Comp Cams 68-232-4 (Grind Number A6 X4 250H-13). I would probably build the engine somewhat similar to the 4.0L specs (like .030 overbore, non-stroke) and not go crazy with stroking it for now. If I did the Comp Cams 68-232-4, I would also be getting the correct springs and lifters (Kit shown here). I've been told this is a very 'torque loving' cam.

-Anyone running this cam?
-What kind of increase am I looking at for torque and HP on a non-stroker?
-Any other input?

Thanks!

I have the 254H (one step up) in my 89 stroker. I don't see any reason to go with a torque cam with an automatic trans - you don't use anything below 1400 RPM - so why limit the top end by getting a cam that works at 800?

rsalemi said:
I have the 254H (one step up) in my 89 stroker. I don't see any reason to go with a torque cam with an automatic trans - you don't use anything below 1400 RPM - so why limit the top end by getting a cam that works at 800?

I guess you have a point, but isn't the cam your running rated and used for more HP and not so much the torque? I'm really looking to get a good power band from Idle-3500RPM. I don't ever much use the rest of the upper band unless I'm really in a rush to pass somebody on the highway. :) Any ideas on how much it might help? If at all? Thanks for the input.

-Bill

A cam change is probably worth 10 HP (according to the MOPAR Perfromance handbook) If you are going with the 4.10's I'd suggest the 254 cam, I have it in mine with 3.73"s and cruise with OD at 2400 RPM at 70 MPH

Back