• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horn switch acting up

cburns70

NAXJA Forum User
93 Xj 4.0 5spd 189k

My horn switch started acting up recently. Sometimes when I turn the wheel the horns honks! One time I got of the jeep and closed the door and that caused the horn to go off. Sometimes it just goes off for no reason. When it does this you can move move switch around alittle and it will stop. I pulled the cover off the steering wheel and but I couldnt see anything wrong with the switch. Any ideas? I finally had to pull the wire off the horn.

Make sure the horn button is seated properly. Happened to me a few times waiting in line for food when i took the wheel off for something a few days earlier.

The contact (switch) in the steering column just completes a circuit to ground so any bare spot in the wire leading from the switch to the relay will accomplish the same thing if it touches metal while turning the wheel or some vibration occurs. I would also check the horn relay just above your right knee under the dash. This is a "Bosch" type relay so it is easy to plug in a replacement to make sure the contact in the existing one is not touching when there is a slight vibration in the dash area.

Back