• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

damn bait and switch and lying sales folks!

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
So my sister's brother in law asked me to pickup a digital camera for his kid and take it with me when I fly to Europe in a week. I shopped around and found a really good price. I placed the order and even asked for upgraded shipping (5 days). All was good till 2 weeks later I remembered about it and realized that I still haven't received the camera. When I inquired with the shop, they told me that that particular "package" is on backorder for 3 months and my order was canceled (I failed to mention that the salesguy called me to verify shipping address 2 days after I placed the order). They very politely offered to upgrade me to a different package for about $90 more. This kind of pissed me off and I told them to take a hike.
So being back in square one I searched out prices and found another vendor who offered the camera with a $50 rebate (btw, it's minolta Z5). I called him, I asked if he has it in stock, whether the rebate applies: he told me that the rebate comes from manufacturer and he just charges me the prices of the camera (which is perfectly normal so far). Camera arrives about a week and a half later and as I'm trying to submit the rebate it turns out that the rebate for calls for a filled out warranty card which seems to be missing. So I call Minolta and they tell me that I need the card and they direct me to the shop. I call the shop and I explain it and they said that the camera has the warranty preregistered ( :confused: ) and the card is not included. Also he tells me that they are not an authorized minolta vendor and they cannot offer rebates. Now I'm really confused. Luckily all my calls at work are recorded so I offer to email him a recording of the original conversation :D I must say that his voice lost a bit of an edge when I explained to him that I have a recording.
Another interesting thing that I just spotted was that they charged me $10 more then I was supposed to pay (I have the sales guy giving me the grand total with shipping recorded as well). Somewhat I have a feeling AMEX will be getting that back to me as the shop seems a weeee bit fishy. Anyways I hate shit like that.

Kindof in the same boat here. Got a sony video recorder almost a year ago and about two months ago the sound on the camera stopped working. Well, I call up sony and they tell me that it is covered under parts warranty but I would have to pay $275.00 to have the camera taken apart and fixed and have to wait three months for the repairs to be done. I got a little angry at this and asked him to explain to me why I had to pay these costs under warranty. He said that my particular camera did not have this type of warranty because of this specific problem. To make a long story short, I got someone higher up on the phone and after about an hour more on the phone I had a new camera shipping to my home the next day. I also was recording everything and when I told them that they were much nicer. I learned awhile ago to record phone calls like this just for these problems that come up.
Hope all goes good getting that camera.

Kim.

Sounds like you may have gotten a "gray market" camera. Doesn't have a warranty card because it doesn't have a warranty-at all. It was never intended to be sold in the U.S. Don't know if you can get your money back, but that would be my recommendation. One of many Google returns:

Unknowingly Purchasing Gray Market Merchandise
Some online retailers will attempt to sell you so-called "gray market" cameras. Originally intended for sale outside the U.S., gray market cameras are rerouted to stores in this country and offered for sale, sometimes under the guise of being "international models" and sometime with no warning at all.

Though these cameras usually have very attractive prices, camera manufacturers will not honor warranties on gray-market goods, which often come with manuals in foreign languages, adapters that do not work in this country, and various other bugs. If a deal looks too good to be true, you should be wary of being sold gray market products.

To avoid purchasing gray market merchandise, look carefully at any online offer. If the price is remarkably low, or if there is mention of any other warranty than the official U.S. manufacturer's warranty (i.e. international warranty or store warranty) the camera is probably gray market.

Good luck

Spudboy said:
Sounds like you may have gotten a "gray market" camera. Doesn't have a warranty card because it doesn't have a warranty-at all. It was never intended to be sold in the U.S. Don't know if you can get your money back, but that would be my recommendation. One of many Google returns:
The funny thing is that the camera will be traveling out of US to it's permanent home. Anyways, I'm waiting for the seller to get back to me about it. Worst comes to worst, there is always AMEX :D

A lot of the places that advertise ridiculously low prices in the photo magazines are notorious for bait and switch, as well as for loading you up with overpriced options, unneeded battery or lens upgrades and the like. they're very slick at managing to avoid actually selling the things they advertise.

Photo. net has a forum and a feedback page which will give you a pretty good take on which shops to avoid, here: camera shops

I've had good luck with B&H, Adorama, and J&R Music World for new stuff. Ritz is at least legitimate too, though not usually the best deal. B&H usually has the best honest deals, and a very well organized web site. For used gear you can't beat KEH.com.

The honest dealers like B&H will also be very up front about the differences between US and grey market goods, both of which they offer.

I'm disapointed with almost everyone I have to deal with anymore, when buying anything. My Gateway digital died on me shortly after it's late arrival. the replacement just doesn't take good pix. Have been looking at Canon XT's and internet places I check into, then call to verify availability and exact "deal" item contents...I just get illiterate con artists.
Sign of the times. Buyer beware.

viperbaron said:
I'm disapointed with almost everyone I have to deal with anymore, when buying anything. My Gateway digital died on me shortly after it's late arrival. the replacement just doesn't take good pix. Have been looking at Canon XT's and internet places I check into, then call to verify availability and exact "deal" item contents...I just get illiterate con artists.
Sign of the times. Buyer beware.

Yeah, I ussually do a lot of research before I buy something and ussually I buy from a reputable shop even if I have to pay more (plus mostly it's from someplace local so I can go and beat them over the head with a defective item :D). Unfortunately here I was stuck buying something for someone and I was limited to amount of money with very little time to get it in and test it before flying out with it.

Kejtar said:
Yeah, I ussually do a lot of research before I buy something and ussually I buy from a reputable shop even if I have to pay more (plus mostly it's from someplace local so I can go and beat them over the head with a defective item :D).

X2

Isn't the term, "lying sales folks", dedundant?

Mail order and on-line camera shops are about the sleaziest, most crokked bunch of lying sons of unwed mothers anywhere in the universe. It's much better to pay a few bucks more and buy locally where you can go back to the store, yell and scream a bit, and demand to speak with the store manager or owner.

You lucked out. The fact that your calls are recorded is a benefit most people won't have available to them.

Kejtar said:
The funny thing is that the camera will be traveling out of US to it's permanent home. Anyways, I'm waiting for the seller to get back to me about it. Worst comes to worst, there is always AMEX :D
I would contact AMEX first and cancel payment. That'll get their attention quickly. You have the camera. Without your money they have nada.
Nothing like being on the weak side of a fight to get a guy to be reasonable.

kid4lyf said:
I would contact AMEX first and cancel payment. That'll get their attention quickly. You have the camera. Without your money they have nada.
Nothing like being on the weak side of a fight to get a guy to be reasonable.
Actually I already spoken with the AMEX folks. I need to wait for teh statement to close (couple more days), and as soon as that happens I'm taking what's due :D ($60 = $50 rebate + $10 overcharge)

Speaking of "Grey Market Cameras"..... Dont ever buy one in New Orleans. They are pretty much all grey market cams sold my big hairy guys with gold medallions burried in their chest hair.

dakotus said:
Speaking of "Grey Market Cameras"..... Dont ever buy one in New Orleans. They are pretty much all grey market cams sold my big hairy guys with gold medallions burried in their chest hair.
Ditto New York -- and oddly enough, at least a few years ago there was a town on the "beach" (if you consider piles of well rounded stones a "beach") in southern Maine that had a sort of boardwalk and what seemed like hundreds of discount camera stores all in a row ... each one sleazier than the one before.

Pretty much everything there was grey market, too, and I suspect it was a rather dark shade of grey at that.

I'm going to let you in on a secret.

Buy crap at costco. My Costco has that camera in-stock. But here's the main reason: If it ever breaks, take it back. Five days, or 5 years from now, you can take it back and get what you paid for it. In cash.

Back