NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 14th, 2004, 20:24
NAXJA Forum User

water instead of oil...

Checking out the new 89xj and I opened the front diff plug and thin milky oil poured out. I suctioned it dry and it had a good bit of pure water in the bottom. Now I know this isn't good, and I haven't run in any water, so it is probably there from the previous owner.

Question: can these front axles take having water and not be totally destroyed? I've got no bearing noise and the 4wd works fine. Did with the water in it too... After drying it, I put in Castrol 85w140 so it would coat everything well.

Another Question: does the front axle (89 Cherokee Laredo) turn while in 2wd? I can't figure out how that little vacuum control can disengage both sides.

Next I opened up the TC and out came one drop of fluid. Nice bright red, but just a drop. I've had it a few months, and put on maybe 6k miles. Not sure when it went dry, but no leaks while I've had it. Poured a little trans-x through it and no shavings or foul things came out. Filled it up with dexronIII/Mercon. It seems to work fine - no strange noises from anywhere.

Question: Is the rear output directly linked to the transmission, or is it a chain? Any guesses on damage?

The plugs also had what looked like blue threadlock on them - factory style. That might mean 215,000 miles on one oil fill....

Are these made tough enough for this abuse?? :-(
Old July 14th, 2004, 20:37
NAXJA Forum User

Re: water instead of oil...

That Vacuum motor disengages one side only. but both sides will still spin so the front axle doesn't.

The rear output isn't a just a straight shaft, but it is in line with the transmission output. I don't think the chain moves when in 2wd.

As for damage... if you don't hear or feel anythign weird and everything works, than I think yuo are fine.

-Chris
Old July 14th, 2004, 21:20
NAXJA Member

As for the front axle, you should pull the cover and at least rinse out the carrier with some carb cleaner or something. Hopefully the face of the teeth aren't pitted to bad and the carrier bearings are not hosed. The reason why disco'ing one side works is that the driveshaft isn't being driven in 2wd and any differential spin is taken up by the spider gears.
Old July 14th, 2004, 23:26
NAXJA Forum User

When you opened the transfer case and only found one drop of oil (actually Dexron II ATF), was that the bottom one (drain) of the two plugs? OK if this result was from opening the top threaded (filler) plug!! Sorry for asking the obvious....
Old July 14th, 2004, 23:34
NAXJA Forum User

No, unfortunately it was the lower plug...

Bad, I know. How can I tell how bad?