• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3-4/5" lift kit recommendations

SeanSS

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 that is currently in need of rear leafs.

I have tossed around the idea of throwing on a small lift for the hell of it.

Jeep does not get driven off road, I just simply want to keep it as nice as i can.

I looked into this a few years ago and it seemed like the best bang for the buck was a 4.5" kit from Zone.

This kit- https://www.quadratec.com/p/zone-of...stem-rear-leaf-springs-84-01-jeep-cherokee-xj

I was doing a little bit of window shopping earlier today and also came across this RE 3.5" kit

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rubicon...f-springs-84-01-jeep-cherokee-xj-chrysler-825

Any suggestions? Any other kits i could consider?

Again, keep in mind, street driven jeep that is my daily driver.

Not a trail rig by any means.

I have no "goals" to achieve, the jeep is just simply ready for some of its
suspension components to be replaced so i am weighing my options to simply go ahead and install a lift versus a set of OEM quality/spec leafs.

Thank you for your time

-Sean

You really shouldn't go over a 2-3 inch lift if you don't have any future off roading in mind. If you go bigger than that you're going to have to put in a slip yoke eliminator to correct the angles and stop vibes. Transfer case drop too. You'll also lose a lot of mpg's.

It will look great wit a 2-3 inch lift.

I put a Skyjacker 3" lift with Bilstein shocks and 32" tires on my rig. I do go off roading though. I wouldn't have gone that big if I didn't.
e82e44ef87b87fac04fd2b089b0c3cc2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Any recommendations on a 3" lift that comes with full leafs?

Pretty much wanting something that comes complete with everything i'll need, including shocks.

I do have a 4.5 lift. I do not do offroad. I still feel uncomfortable on some of the roads I drive. In IN, its OK. I do go to WV, and some of those roads get twisty. I have a 2" build I am following up on. As stated above, going over 3-3.5 adds to the complexity. I've heard good things about Zone Lifts. No direct experience. I did consider their rear leafs for a build. I went with OME. I think I have as much in the OME springs than what the Zone kit sells for. Watch the price on Rusty's stuff. Shipping from them adds $$. Might be able to upgrade to RE lift.
I did have to do a Hack-n-Tap on my 4.5 lift. I do have 30"-31" tires on my 2" lift. I wanted to see about a 2" lift ect. It looks good. I will say, there are more options in the 2.5 to 3.5 lifts. Mainly the rear springs. I would get a good adjustable track bar and not mess with the drilling of the stock one. Also, check out Wagner and Raybestos for extended brake lines. They have some for 3" to 4"(?) lifts. I used a set on my 2" lift. They are like regular brake lines. I'd also plan to at least upgrade brake pads to Raybestos Thermo Quites. I saw that Oriely's carries them. Possibly Black Magics. I haven't installed the set I have though. I'm on WJs brakes though.

Ironrock makes great stuff at a decent price.

Old man email will probably give you the best ride all around, but is a little bit on the pricey side. If You have no intention of Wheeling your rig wouldn't go above 3 in. If you just want to add a little bit of height could always just look at doing the up country upgrade with a bastard pack in the rear

Ironrock makes great stuff at a decent price.

Old man email will probably give you the best ride all around, but is a little bit on the pricey side. If You have no intention of Wheeling your rig wouldn't go above 3 in. If you just want to add a little bit of height could always just look at doing the up country upgrade with a bastard pack in the rear

Iron Rock has a 3.5 lift kit. Suppose to be very good. I did look at their rear spring pack. I think you need to use their boomerang shackle or a shackle relocation kit.

If you're doing a minor lift and keeping the Jeep nice I'd go with Old Man Emu. Worth the money for the ride quality.

Here's what I'd do if I was getting another XJ to be daily driven(and actually my plan for my kid sister in a couple years).

-new upcountry leaf springs
-shackle relocation boxes
-any decent boomerang shackle
-New upcountry coils up front with small puck spacer to level suspension
-IRO double shear track bar
-5100 bilstien shocks
-Replace control arms with new OEM arms, it's almost cheaper than just replacing bushings.

This should net around 2-3" of lift and ride great. Driveline should be happy at that lift, especially for a daily driven rig.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

What need-a-bow suggested is a solid option.

Shocks on the market are all cookie cutter one size suits everyone and they're rig.

I say whatever you do keep it to 3" and do control arm drop brackets.

Mostly all the products for jeeps are meant to just take your money. Most all jeep owners talk good about what they've bought wether those products actually work well or not.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thats a good looking kit.

Im assuming the double sheer frame side track bar bracket retains factory geometry. To me it looks lower but a double sheer bracket will look lower than a tie rod end factory style

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Here's what I'd do if I was getting another XJ to be daily driven(and actually my plan for my kid sister in a couple years).

-new upcountry leaf springs
-shackle relocation boxes
-any decent boomerang shackle
-New upcountry coils up front with small puck spacer to level suspension
-IRO double shear track bar
-5100 bilstien shocks
-Replace control arms with new OEM arms, it's almost cheaper than just replacing bushings.

This should net around 2-3" of lift and ride great. Driveline should be happy at that lift, especially for a daily driven rig.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

What need-a-bow suggested is a solid option.

This right here. 2-2.5" lift on 29"-30" tires. Only thing I would do different is upgraded control arms only due to the bushing being more secured in the arm(less likely to get loose) and less control arm flex giving a more solid feeling ride.

Anecdote here - when I first bought my previous xj in stock form, the lower control arms bushings were on their way out - I replaced the lower arms with ruffstuff's heim to heim control arms and was surprised at how much it helped improve front end feel of the XJ - it felt bulletproof and had great street/off-road manners. Worth the investment IMO.

You already have listed the DPG 2.5 Hybrid.

I did or am doing a 2" lift. I went with Crown Upcountry rear leafs. I used their bushings. It was not fun pressing in the large ones. Other considerations were OME 1.75, and Rancho 1.5. There were add a leafs from Pro Comp. I could not determine if they were the top leaf or just another leaf.
I did replace the stock control arms with CORE Stage 1 adjustable. The tops were about $110. The bottoms $200. I went with 2" fronts from IRO for $110. Front shocks are KYB Monomax. The rears are some closeouts from IRO. I am planning to replace them with some Bilsteins I have with remote reservoirs. I did Bar pin eliminators on the rear. The bracket kind from IRO. I did have the large pin or JKS types at first. Issues with the bolt threads. So, drilled out and snaked bolts from the top, inside.
Way off track, I have WJ Big Brakes, cross over steering and OTK track bar set. I really like Sticky Fabs brackets and trackbar brace. I did not get their trackbar though. I was working one and the bracket slated for it had issues with the WJ Big Brake setup.
I'm on 265/70/R16 ( I think). About 30.5" Wild Country. I like the stance. I haven't driven it much. I am swapping parts between it and my other XJ. Weather, work etc. is getting in the way.
I'll be swapping in a Dakota steering box, Ironman steering box brace and upgraded headlight harness. I did have frame stiffeners put on. Yes, way over kill.

A lift including any type of add a leaf is not an option.

The whole reason behind this is because my current leafs need replaced.

I was adding that info as to my thought process. On my stock leafs, just the top leaf was bent near the eyes. So, an AAL would not work for me either. I also used IRO boomerang shackles. I did get an Ironman shackle relocation kit. It was not needed. It will be used on another build. If you want to drive down, you can look at my two lifts. The 4.5 you can drive. The 2" might be driveable after NY.

Back