• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front inner fender trimming

SlowXj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey y'all I'm sure this has been covered, but it seems most xj on 35s and factory front 30 don't trim much inner fender out. This is an old beater so it's getting the death wheel so I can maintain the stuff I had with 31s... Anyone see major issues in doing this? You can see the cut line in the second photo.
55e8ecb911e64b177c54f741ac1a5574.jpg
58cb4ce22bf95be7d254df453e2cdc96.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think I'd cut it and weld 1/8" back in. Integrate a second battery tray or aircompressor mounting point . Offcourse after throwing the airbox in the trash

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Battery will be relocated to the hatch, and a thor intake will fix that aspect.

I think that bajabronco guy this this on 37s. Dang you cut the hell outta the fenders lol, im not quite there but bumped accordingly.

Are you just trying for all the flex you can get or is it hitting on trails do your cutting?

To answer that I'll have to admit how much of a puss I am... Welp here goes lol
I was long armed with 31s on 3.5 cloak coils and 12 inch travel shocks. It did wonderful for what it was. Moving up to 35s I put a 1.5 inch puck lift in and added an inch of bump stop. Bump stops while I was on 31s consisted of 2 inch daystar extended along with a hockey puck. This change made it feel uneasy on the trail in comparison. I attest this to the added bump stop. So my plan is to have 1 hockey puck and the 2"daystar bumps. That puts the 35 very high lol

When I got to this point is when I started thinking of the tnt inners... I'm not a metal whisper, so I would be time and money ahead if they fit cleanly.
86a5d768aa7264dbbc323d5763f36b9c.jpg

What size lift are you on? With 31s that seems like over kill IMO. Can your tire even go up much further? Like, when does your track bar get into the oil pan? Or the opposite side unseat a coil? Or the shocks bottom out.. I get low cog with low lift, but usually that entails bigger tires before you need to get into the inner fender. Maybe add an inch or 2 spacer to your lift? There is a lot of structural integrity in that inner fender... do a good job plating it with that stock bumper and no unibody stiffeners/ plated uni up front.
And id make sure you raise the hell out of it.. why do all that work to gain half an inch ya know?

welp, disregard most of what I just said LOL

Um... ya the tnt inners are sweet... i can't remember the other brand I've seen but I REALLY liked it. I'll do some bookmark digging.

The 12" shocks aren't bottoming out yet? What brand and measurements are they?

Last edited:
Tbh I've pondered this a bit with my ZJ and decided when I get to the point of NEEDING to cut the inner fenders on the Xj, I will go the full yard and dove nose her. Just my .2$, dove nose xjs look ssssexi

I'm running the cheap doetsch tech 8000. Dimensions are like 15.5 collapsed and 27.5 extended. I have about .75 inch before they bottom out and obviously could use longer. I may move up to the next size as I think they're 16.5 compressed and 29 extended. So far with really being careful with axle placement I have negated all other interference such as track bar, etc.

If you can think of the other company I would really appreciate that.

I have mid and rear stiffeners, just haven't gotten the fronts on yet. There is also a cheap front hitch under the factory bumper along with a track bar brace to help tie the rails together.

And since this would be more sucky without pics here's one at full droop.

Front frame stiffys and some kind of steering are next on the list.
cbfdf8c4c9accff586cc9fbd2f2c8a3b.jpg

undo your shock, i bet droops more.

There aren't many inner fender makers, can't recall other than TNT but I'll wait to see others.

I too have pondered this issue. Stage 2 for me is pushing axle forward an inch or two
and going up in tire size. structurally, the shock/coil mounts aren't far from where you're cutting although that rib from frame rail to inner fended should be good enough without reinforcement. so your're just trying to keep mud out of the engine bay.

Desnt look like a 12" stroke shock more like 8-10 exspecly with 15.5" compressed.

I agree you could use longer shocks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Of course it drops more. With that said after new shocks I'll be right at my springs unseating, so I don't see myself needing much more.

I have done both ways. Tnt inner fenders and just cut on the fold and bent it up and rewelded it with a small filler piece. Tnt turned out cleaner but cut and weld gave more room

I have done both ways. Tnt inner fenders and just cut on the fold and bent it up and rewelded it with a small filler piece. Tnt turned out cleaner but cut and weld gave more room
How much space difference was it?

I removed my front inner fenders as well - here is my writeup. - https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1154944
Thanks baja!
That is one clean build! Tnt has no info on the battery box so I planned to move it to the hatch, but yours looks like it works well enough. I'll probably shoot for something similar.
What is your bump stop setup with those 37s? And your wms width if you know it as I think you have a Dana 44 right?

Lets see em!
*couldn't find the other brand... i think it was a smaller shop and prolly not as sexy. Sucky. The jk crowd has hundreds of different offerings with pretty designs and all kinds of options :/

Last edited:
Back