• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smittybilt XRC Bumper Tie-In Bracket Options

FernGreen

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, long story short, i ordered Ares Fab Tie-in brackets before i bought a bumper and i found a smittybilt bumper of craigslist for a good deal so i bought it but now im wondering if i can opt to use my ares fab tie-in brackets instead of the smittybilt ones since the Ares fab ones tie in to the unibody in more places. My only concern is that the smittybilt bumper uses 4 bolts to mount the bumper to the smittybilt bracket versus the Ares fab only uses 3 bolts to mount the bumper to the bracket. Can i get away with mounting the smittybilt bumper with 3 bolts? I guess what im asking is which option would be stronger? I'll be winching off this bumper.

50269762137_0bfaa577a6_z.jpg

If you use the biggest bolts that fit the holes the Ares brackets should be fine.

IMO a winch set-up should also have a cross-member reinforcement plate similar to this:

www.hooliganoffroad.com/products/xj-front-cross-member-stiffener

www.t-mfab.com/store-3/jeep-cherokee-xj-comanchee-mj-behind-the-front-bumper-stiffiner/

Great, thank you i think that's what I'll do. I'll look into the cross-member, looks like i might have to remove the front clip to weld it on?

IMO a winch set-up should also have a cross-member reinforcement plate

I always thought the winch bumper did that job, unless you're suggesting a weak bumper would buckle under winching stress and "bow forward", pulling the frame rails toward one another?

If you use the biggest bolts that fit the holes the Ares brackets should be fine.

IMO a winch set-up should also have a cross-member reinforcement plate similar to this:

www.hooliganoffroad.com/products/xj-front-cross-member-stiffener

www.t-mfab.com/store-3/jeep-cherokee-xj-comanchee-mj-behind-the-front-bumper-stiffiner/

Ya I agree... those are both good options for a fair price.

I kinda dig the hidden winch designs when I remake my front bumper to take a winch... in which case the crossmenber gets deleted right?

Back