• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

added 1.5" shackles & shackle relocation boxes now rear SYE Dshaft is too long?

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User

ideas?

I had 3" leafs and stock shackles...

still have 3" 3" leafs and above listed stuff too...

ideas?

Re: added 1.5" shackles & shackle relocation boxes now rear SYE Dshaft is too long?

The longer shackles and relocation brackets tilt the pinion angle more towards the transfercase output and probably shifted the axle just a smidge forward.

Re: added 1.5" shackles & shackle relocation boxes now rear SYE Dshaft is too long?

so should i just unbolt the axle and move the spring pad bolt hole forward an 1"?

added 1.5" shackles & shackle relocation boxes now rear SYE Dshaft is too long? ?

Rather unlikely. The front leaf spring pockets didn't get moved did they ? Then the axle is in the same location as before. The pinion may be tilted slightly higher, but that wouldn't call for any change in the drive shaft length.

The front leaf spring pockets didn't get moved did they ?

Check that first.

I know my angles are out of whack though

t case fill plug is 81.5° and pinion is 87.5°

any ideas?

I have a 2° shim in there still... I could flip it around and it would lower the pinion 4° (or was it a 3°?)

I know my angles are out of whack though

t case fill plug is 81.5° and pinion is 87.5°

any ideas?

I have a 2° shim in there still... I could flip it around and it would lower the pinion 4° (or was it a 3°?)

try just taking the shim out all together and see how that works out for ya.

put the leafs in backward? no that would move the leaves back, stretching the wheel base close to 6"

Sorry, I read it wrong. For some reason I thought you said your shaft wouldn't reach.
Dropping the mounting location for the leaf should rotate the axle down. Like others said, that could mean a shorter effective distance. How far off is it?

Then it must have been really short before!

well I flipped the shims... now the angles are within 3° of each other... and I could be reading it a little off too...

at rest the CV drive shaft has 00.59" before it is fully compressed... that is better... but still it makes NO sense...

a SYE with XJ front drive shaft and a C 8.25 and a little over 4.5" of lift SHOULD have closer to 1.5" of slip before it fully compresses...

I guess I will have to move the axle back 1"-2"

ANY OBJECTIONS...?

another option that Go Jeep had suggested was to beef up and lower the rear leaf spring's front mounting point...

I have moved an axle back before and never had a problem. Don't redrill the springs, just redrill the mounting perch on the axle. Hopefully someone else will give you a second opinion, but personally i don't see an issue.

I have moved an axle back before and never had a problem. Don't redrill the springs, just redrill the mounting perch on the axle. Hopefully someone else will give you a second opinion, but personally i don't see an issue.

that was my plan... drilling through spring steel is a bear to do...

would I need to extend the landing area on the perch?

Back