• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding Center Frame Stiffeners

First XJ is done with welding, it came out fairly well. friends son learned to weld and did the job with my help, this was his dads xj. We will do mine hopefully soon, got some other things going on first for my xj.

As this was his first weld project, we had to clean up some spots with grinder, but he didnt blow any big holes thru the body, nor start a big fire, and the welds although some spots are not pretty, the welds are secure,

Any idea what settings and welder you used? I assume mig and not flux core. Kid taking local welding classes to become a welder or just a 16 year old looking for something to do?

Any idea what settings and welder you used? I assume mig and not flux core. Kid taking local welding classes to become a welder or just a 16 year old looking for something to do?

Miller Autoset 212 MIG, Ar/CO2, 0.030 wire, autoset running at about 6.0 to 6.5 which is in the 1/8 th inch range so the knob says. As suggested by Evan03 earlier in this thread (Thanks Evan03! )

The friends "kid" is home on Christmas Break from college, he is finishing up a civil engineer degree, He is handy with tools, so his his dad and me I think too. He will likely get a jeep after he graduates, he likes wheeling, exploring, camping too.

As Brian stated, stop over-thinking it.

I welded up my rocker sliders after cutting out a great deal of sheet metal to make room for it. I believe I used 2x3" or 2x4" .120 wall rec tubing and I welded those suckers in back in 2005. After a decade and a half of wheeling, with plenty of slams down on the sliders, there is no issue with welding them in. They are more secure being welded in anyways than several bolts could do.

I did tie them in to my reinforced frame rails with 1.5" HREW .120 wall tubing, as well as a full roll cage made of the same material also being tied in to the frame rails... all has been great for over a decade.

You definitely want to clean the welding area down to bare metal. None of that "I can weld through zinc crap". You want your welds to be clean and free from contaminants. It's not about welding up a nuclear anything. Contaminants can cause welds to fail, so you don't want anything in them.

Do it once and do it the right way!!!
Sent you a PM

Back