• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-link / crossover steering Ackerman?

maxbraketorque

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of the T-link / crossover setups out there. I understand the source of the steering dead spot that exists in most setups, but the occasional mention of trashed Ackerman is not obvious to me at this point. Ackerman is set by the position of the knuckle steering arm end location relative to the steering pivot point, and that doesn't change when going with most of the T-link / crossover setups. I can see that it changes with the ORO U-turn linkage, and perhaps the WJ knuckle has the wrong Ackerman for the XJ? Is there some way that Ackerman affects all T-link / crossover setups, or is it limited to perhaps just those two particular setups?

Wondering why Ackerman has joined the discussion ?

I know several locals who have the ORO U-Turn installed and they all love it, both for daily driving, and on the 4x4 trails. All the threads and discussions of the WJ mod also are positive.

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=87216

I do have WJ hubs on both of my XJs. I don't get the bumps steer like the stock setup. I doubt I get the tire scrub that the post alludes to as Akerman. I do have OTK trackbar on both. I believe the gear boxes are a bit loose on both. So, a bit of wondering. When the Advance Auto gear box was 'new', it was nice. I do have a used IRO steering setup. I have not installed it, so can't comment.
The guy I have do the welding and some installs, liked it. He got a deal on the Currie knuckle. Says about the same, vast improvement over stock. I do run a steering stabilizer on mine. The Ruffstuff one with the front D30 cover. Initially I did not. It did not really need it. I had a round of DW, so a preventative measure.

Thanks. After thinking about this a bit more and seeing a few more threads on the T-link / crossover stuff, I think the Ackerman change is only with the ORO U-Turn and possibly with the WJ hubs.

75SV1 - I think the IRO OTK setup looks nice except for the heim joints which I understand are unavoidable for their approach. I've heard a few people say that there is a tendency for the bolts to come loose, but for the price and bolt-on nature, its a pretty compelling solution if someone doesn't mind replacing the heim joints every few years.

Don't over think it.

I was told my jeep would wander all over the place.
It drives and steers amazing

Alot of advice is given where people giving the advice may not have hands on experience on the advice they are giving.

2919262ab69ce0286f202b8ba249cbfe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks. My XJ steers pretty well right now. It was a bit vague before I installed track bar and steering box braces. Overall, I'm comfortable driving asphalt mountain roads at the roll/grip limit of the vehicle, and if there is any bump steer, its not bothering me enough to want to do anything about it. Probably helps that I have a relatively mild lift (4.5") along with a drop pitman arm and drop track bar mount. Just trying to understand options for the future in case I start pushing the vehicle harder offroad.

Back